http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hi All,
I was sorting through 80yo Father-In-Laws shed on the w/e as he is moving to a Retirement Villiage.
I came across an old bayonet, which F-I-L thinks was his older brothers.

I have searched the net & can not find much info on what I think is a 1936 Bayonet.
Some of the stamps & writing are a bit hard to read, let alone photograph.

I'm just wondering if someone could identify / date the bayonet &/or give me an approx value for it.
The plan is to put it on ebay, unless it is better to sell it somewhere else?

I reduced the size of the following pics, but have higher res ones if that would assistane anyone identify.

Thanks in advance for any info / suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I like it. it has character. looks to be a m 1907 ( duh)', I don't know enough about these to help, but be patient, someone will have answers for you. there seem to be enough markings to figure it out. be sure and look at the back of the standard/sheath, you may see a year and makers initials. worth 50 , to 150 , ,, depending on maker just my estimate...good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Yes you are correct, it's a Australian M1907 made in March of 1936. In that condition, somewhere around $50 I'd say. I know I just bought a very nice example similar to yours except in much nicer condition for $88.

Mike

IOWA-Birth Place of John Wayne

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm 

Yes mate, definitely a 1936 P1907 from Lithgow SAF ... she's a bit chewy, shame about all the rust and pitting on the muzzle ring and pommel, but that's the way it goes with these things. Grips have got a bit dry rot and could probably do with replacing, it will clean up in the hands of a collector. Sheds generally aren't that friendly to Milsurp stuff ... :wink:

Value is subjective ... start bidding at $80.00 AUD and see what happens.

Cheers, Tiki.

New South Wales Rifle Association - NSWRA
R License Holder - NSW Game Council

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I didn't realize you where in Australia or I wouldn't have tossed out a price.
Mike

IOWA-Birth Place of John Wayne

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Tikirocker wrote:
Yes mate, definitely a 1936 P1907 from Lithgow SAF ... she's a bit chewy, shame about all the rust and pitting on the muzzle ring and pommel, but that's the way it goes with these things. Grips have got a bit dry rot and could probably do with replacing, it will clean up in the hands of a collector. Sheds generally aren't that friendly to Milsurp stuff ... :wink:

Value is subjective ... start bidding at $80.00 AUD and see what happens.

Cheers, Tiki.

Thanks to all for info.
Thanks Tiki for giving me a start $$.
Is ebay the best place ? Or just on a site like this with a price rather than Auction? I mean the collectors are prob all on here anyhow?

I assume it is best to just sell as it is, rather than "fixing up" or "cleaning up"?
I mean I have a wire brush & metal polish etc, but no experience with such things.

Is there any other pics that would be useful to a buyer?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 pm 

No worries J, happy to help ...

I'd certainly sell as is, new grips may put collectors off and might look a bit odd having new grips on a bayonet that looks a bit knocked about - kind of like old blokes who dye their hair? :D

There are plenty of people on this site that would be happy to buy it ... I've got a couple of idea's for it. Expect a P.M.

Tiki.

New South Wales Rifle Association - NSWRA
R License Holder - NSW Game Council

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:28 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Tikirocker wrote:
There are plenty of people on this site that would be happy to buy it ...

I am surprised.
Considering the condition I would think this bayonet is a worthless piece of s*** - no offence meant.

I know Australian 1907 hookers commands very high prices even if they are in a sebzero condition. Is any Australian 1907 more desirably disregarding condition?

//Bo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Put it on eBay and offer international shipping as it will broaden your market. Ausie bayonets will always sell even in that condition. The Lithgow star looks decent. Definitely not a piece of s#*+.
Good luck.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Papas Adrianas wrote:
Put it on eBay and offer international shipping as it will broaden your market. Ausie bayonets will always sell even in that condition. The Lithgow star looks decent. Definitely not a piece of s#*+.
Good luck.
Cheers

Thanks!.
One mans meat is another's poison, was what my dad used to say
I'm selling is as I dont want or need it. But I'm sure someone wants to match it to one of the 900 guns that where made in 1936. And I'm sure someone could put new wood on it if thats what they wanted.
I'm still waiting to here if my son wants it, if not I'll put it up on ebay, even if some don't want it!.
FWIW the photo actully look worse that what it appears in real life. But thats a buyers decision / judgement call.