http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:36 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hi everybody! I recently obtained a very nice Husqvarna revolver chambered for the 7.5 Swedish cartridge. Loading data is virtually non-existant for this round, but I have been working on it. According to various internet postings, the challenge for this cartridge was finding a bullet matching the original .325" outside lubed version. I slugged the bore and came up with a groove diameter of .307" and a bore diameter of .296". There are some cast 308" bullets out there that should work just fine. My first attempt will be with the 93 grain Lee cast RN and 2.5 grains of Unique. All the unpublished data I found seems to hover around that weight of bullet and powder charge. We shall see. Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The big problem with loading for the Swedish Nagant is the difference between the cylinder throats and the bore diameter. It's odd that anyone would design a revolver to use a .325" bullet in a .308" bore, but that seems to be what the Swedes did. It must have been a very soft lead 325" bullet.

I finally decided to use .32-20 brass in mine and loaded the cartridges with a M1 Carbine die set. The brass is long enough to go almost all the way to the front of the cylinder, so the case essentially becomes the chamber throat. The only kicker is that you have to use flush-seated bullets in order to avoid tying up the cylinder. I used 85 grain hollow-base wadcutters with 3.0 grains of Unique and got good accuracy. I did chronograph some 2.5 grain Unique loads, but they yielded low velocities so I bumped the powder charge a half grain.

Good luck with your loading efforts. The Swedish Nagant is a very well made and fun old gun to shoot.

-Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:34 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hi Bob,
I was hoping that someone would jump in soon! I have also tried the Hornady HBWC with good results. The powder charge of 2.5 to 3.0 grains of Unique sounds like a good place to work up loads. I also use 32-20 brass, but found an RCBS file trim die for a song, which really makes a difference! Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:57 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Bob, is your 30 Carbine sizing die of the 'carbide' persuasion? Do your cartridges chamber easily?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:32 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

My handloading venture was successful! My trimmed 32-20 cases, with a 93 grain Lyman RN bullet (for the 30 Luger), sized to .309", over 2.5 grains of Unique (Lee 020 dipper) was perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:26 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Yes, my .30 Carbine sizing die is carbide. Chambering is fine. One chamber is a tad tighter than the other 5 and requires a gentle push to seat it completely; otherwise, they just drop in.

You are trimming your cases in order to use conventional bullets, and that's fine if you don't mind the trimming part, but I hate trimming. I'm using full-length .32-20 cases with Berry's 85 grain hollow-base wadcutter bullets and seating them flush with the case mouth. The Swedish Nagant has bored-through cylinders so there are no cylinder throats at all. The .32-20 case comes almost all the way to the front of the cylinder so the front of the case becomes the throat in essence. Works just fine, but your system will work equally well if you don't mind the trimming part.

-Bob