Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Help! I had a D'oh moment

Hammy
United States of America

Help! I had a D'oh moment

#1 Post by Hammy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:34 pm

I am in trouble. I need help. I can't believe I did this. I was cleaning my Garand after a friendly get-together. I am using an aluminum chain pull-thru that I use on all my rifles. Without thinking, I cut a patch, put it thru the slotted tip, and commenced to pull it from the breech to the muzzle. Just as it cleared the chamber, it stuck. Tight. As in it won't budge no matter what. Can anyone give me any advice (other then Don't Do That!!) that will help me get the stuck patch out? Thanks. Jim....
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

Re: Help! I had a D'oh moment

#2 Post by Ghoulardi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:38 pm

wooden dowel and a hammer
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

ffuries
United States of America

#3 Post by ffuries » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:27 pm

What he said with maybe the addition of lots of oil to slick it up.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

les1234
United States of America

#4 Post by les1234 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:37 am

I don't know how strong your chain is. I had a bore snake get stuck so tight once, I had to tie the string end to a stationary object and yank the rifle with both hands to get it through.

72 usmc
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:08 am

You can use a hardwood rod or fiberglass rod to hammer it out the way it went in, but brass will not crack. Buy a brass long rod as close to the barrel size as possible, but not a tight fit, so it does not bend. This is an expensive endeavor. When you get it out; just buy a nice Dewey cleaning rod or carbon fiber rod ($40-45) for the correct caliber and length. Hey Marine, Throw out the chain and snake. :shhh: :shifty:
:?: :?: :roll: Or buy a new Dewey coated rod and use a $40 rod to hammer it out. Be sure you have an add-on tip in the threadeds or the new rod is smoked. Hammer it out the way you put it in.
commenced to pull it from the breech to the muzzle. Just as it cleared the chamber, it stuck. Tight.
so put the rod into the muzzle and some oil and hammer the dog back out into the chamber area. Be sure the chain does not get bunched up in the chamber. Have someone pull on it so it stays straight as you hammer the plug out. A 2 or 3 person job. Some one has to hold the rifle so it does not get scratched.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

M14man
United States of America

#6 Post by M14man » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:21 pm

OP has not been back since he posted his problem. If he followed the advice which he obviously didn't read, the patch should have been nocked right out.

Hammy
United States of America

#7 Post by Hammy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:58 am

au contraire, Mr M14man, I did read the advice, I've broken at least 3 wooden dowel rods trying to hammer that thing out. I cannot go from muzzle to breech as the chain is in the barrel. I have to go from breech to muzzle. I am not going to keep trying and take the chance of marring the barrel (she is a sweet shooter), so I am going to take it to a shop near here so that a professional can berate me and tell me how badly I screwed that pooch, then charge me an exorbitant fee to correct my stupidity. If I had only gotten off my lazy butt and gotten the government issued cleaning rod I would not be in this mess.
Combat Engineer

M14man
United States of America

#8 Post by M14man » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:18 am

Sorry...I was wrong, it looked like you had not returned, and then you left no comments.
Can you hold a cigarette lighter in a way to burn and consume the patch? You can hold a cold compress to the barrel if you are worried about temper... but a lighter flame won't hurt the steel.

Hammy
United States of America

#9 Post by Hammy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Now that's an idea. We have those long grill lighters that may reach. As oil soaked as the patch is it should burn. And a cold compress to keep the heat down is a good idea. I will definitely take the fore-wood off before I try it, just to be on the safe side. I already have it field stripped. Also, I did not mean to sound like a horse's rear, I do check the forum on a daily basis, I just don't log in every time. I do appreciate the advice. That's the one thing I do like about this forum, the advice is good and given in a spirit of "let's work together" and not "you bonehead, hey Bob, did you see what this clown did?" Thank you sir.
Combat Engineer

72 usmc
United States of America

#10 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:05 am

:?: :?: :doh: :think: :think: opps I did not realize the chain is in the barrel. That is a predicament. No way will it be pushed out from the chamber since a rod will not fit. Id like to see how a smith fixes this one. I wonder if he has to remove the barrel?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

shoot4fun
United States of America

#11 Post by shoot4fun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:41 pm

burning it out has already been suggested..

Use air pressure?
Air compressor or maybe high pressure bicycle pump with something to seal the muzzle end and push it back toward the breech? would also have to seal the gas system.

A longish skinny drill bit (have to be careful since bits are pretty hard), and fit it into the chamber and turn by hand to see if you can't snag the patch? or is the pull through device too large?

Hammy
United States of America

#12 Post by Hammy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I've been trying to figure a way to use a brass screw (to try to avoid bunging up the barrel) but I haven't figured that out yet. A drill bit may be the answer. I am pretty sure the patch is close enough to the end of the chamber that I can snag it. It may be a couple of days or a week before I get the chance to try it, but I will post the results. Once again, thanks for all the suggestions, and thanks bunches for not pointing out my total ineptness. Man, a guy turns 60 and his brain just goes to mush.
Combat Engineer

Hammy
United States of America

#13 Post by Hammy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Excelsior!! I have gotten the patch out of the barrel with no damage! I was at the bench this morning, and I was trying to think of a way to convince my bride of 37 years that "we" needed to get my rifle unplugged, when I just happen to see, on top of the safe, an old M16 cleaning kit. Well, the sad remains of one. Basically the handle and two sections of rod. Aluminum, by the way. Well, I unfolded the handle, inserted the rod into the chamber, a couple of good whacks with a brass hammer, and the patch moved out about 2 chain links. I grabbed the chain, pulled hard, and it slid right out. The only thing I can think is that the rod end managed to get one part of the patch in front of the obstruction so that it pulled out. Any ways, it's out and gone, I finished cleaning with the military issued barracks rod, I can see no damage to the barrel when I shine the bore light down it, however, the end of the aluminum M16 rod is now officially useless as it is almost completely flat. Thanks to all for the advice offered, I can guarantee that I will never use a chain link pull thru on any of my rifles again, not even the Mosins. Jimi....
Combat Engineer

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#14 Post by Ghoulardi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:11 pm

I use a aluminum cleaning rod, it's soft where it won't damage the muzzle or barrel and strong enough that if a patch does get stuck you can pound it out or have some leverage to pull it back by the handle.

the big key of not getting a patch stuck in the barrel is don't use a over size/ huge patch and to make sure the patch is evenly positioned on either side of the holder. the patch is just for swabbing out the loosened up gunk that was scrubbed out the grooves of the rifling after pushing through a bore brush.I have never had a patch stuck so bad I had to use drastic measure to get it out.

BTW, you don't need to go hog while scrubbing the barrel upteen hundred of times, just a few passes (2 or 3) is all that is need to loosen up the gunk in the barrel then alternate a wet and dry patch to clean it out.
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

Smokey
United States of America

#15 Post by Smokey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:41 pm

I use a 1-piece stainless steel cleaning rod with brass ferrule, to keep the rod from dragging on the inside of the barrel at the muzzle.
Stainless steel won't imbed grit which will damage the bore.
I also just run it a few passes, and let the solvent do the work. I coat the bore, let it sit, then a few dry patches to wipe it out.
After I run a patch with good oil to leave a film.

I used to be a service rifle competitor and got exceptionally long accurate life from my barrel.
Generally, cleaning causes more wear than shooting, and muzzle damage from cleaning rods rapidly destroy the accuracy.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Return to “M1 Garand”