http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 am 

True long range shooting could not be more fun. Once you find the load your rifle likes, and know the bullets flight to the target, you can make some shots you would think that were not possible.
Remember our forefathers shot at very long ranges with open sights only. Many had to be able to do it or not join special Army,Marine, or Navy groups. ( think Rough Riders)
The Britt's prided themselves on Volley firing at 1,500-2,000 yards at rail heads and road junctions and were darn good at it.
Today we have computer controlled rifle scopes and powders and bullets that could only be dreamed of way back then.
The problem is most shooters do not have access to a true long range to shoot. I thank my lucky stars I'm in a state where you could shoot miles and miles if you wanted to do so.
My barreled action is done, the muzzle brake is installed. The stock is the big deal now. I want it 100% stable in any temperature. It has to fit my cheek and length of pull. While I'm left handed, the rifle will not be. Once I'm gone, my wife would not be able to sell it. So the stock has to be ambidextrous.
I'm playing with loads now in my computer. With St.Marks new powders, this rifle should be a fantastic shooter.
Your rifle will out shine most of the rifles you will run into. The 6.5 140-160 grain bullet has been a noted long range round for over 100 years. It can buck the wind with the best of them and retains down range energy very well due to it sectional density. I have more 6.5 rifles and carbines in my collection that are set aside as my long range shooting than any other caliber.
I've posted this photo a few times over the years. It still impresses me every time I look at it.
The target was a 16x16" 3/4" cold rolled steel plate set to 500 meters. I was conducting a surplus ammunition accuracy and performance test at this target. I used a Russian 1891 long rifle and a Dutch M95 long rifle from the bench. The 7.62x54R round was lead core FMJ of 147 grains. The Dutch round was Cupro-nickel 162 grain bullet. The Russian round is really buzzing along at 2,600 FPS and the Dutch round at around 2,450.
The Russian round hit the plate with a loud clang. The Dutch round hit with a very loud thud. I had never heard this before and drove down to see what had happened. The bullet had almost gone through the 3/4" steel plate. That long,round nosed, flying-drill bit hit like a shaped charge. It really impressed me.
If your rifle will stabilize the heavier bullets, you will have a very impressive long range rifle.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Nice Shooting Jared!! 8-)

I'm sure you will be very pleased with both the rifle and the caliber!! Savages are awesome!! You get really good accuracy right out of the box, and with $60 worth of tools can cange barrels yourself! :thumb:

My first .260 rem was a Savage 10-FP. I put her in a MacMillan A2, and the barrel was a 26" Hart.

Attachment:
.260.jpg
.260.jpg [ 75.32 KiB | Viewed 1420 times ]

My best five shot group with her was .83" @ 300 yds.

I love the 6.5's... A .260 rem will shoot circles around a .308. The High B.C. bullets are less affected by atmospheric changes, they retain energy very well, they buck the wind, they hit hard... they are just AWESOME!!

If you want bullets in other calibers that will come close to the B.C. of 140+ grain 6.5's you need to go with 210+ grain .308" or 300+ .338" bullets. With the cartridges those bullets need to attain any velocity, they are not fun to shoot all day.

Have fun with her!! I'm looking forward to more range reports!! :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Rob

That is very impressive penetration from the 6.5 at 500 yards. I'm sure ill like the gun once I get her fine tuned. The 6.5s have great ballistics. Barrel life isn't the greatest on this caliber but using it for hunting and light long range shooting, I'll never wear it out....I hope but if I do I'll rebarrel it.

That's a sharp looking gun. Love the McMillan stock. And hart makes some great barrels.
.83 and 300 yards is superb. I'd love to shoot a group like that. I'll be happy with this gun if I can get that anywhere past 200. I was not impressed with the speed I got with H4831sc, 2581 fps or something near that. I could have upped the charge but i'd be nearing peak pressures. I switched to Retumbo powder at 57.5 grains which gets me 2970 fps with no pressure signs. I'm Working with the seating depth to try to fine tune the load some. First test group was 1" @ 200, but I know it will do better. This is also with new brass FL sized. Soon I'll be neck sizing to .292" which should help tighten the groups some more. I will put up some more results this weekend weather permitting.

Thanks again. Shoot straight guys.

P.S. I'm going to have to get a more powerful scope. I put the 12x42 SWFA scope on here that I originally bought for the Mosin build. One day soon Ill have to get some more power. The 12x just isn't enough for 1000 yard kill shots. I like to be precise when hunting. I'd like to get this scope back on the Mosin and get a x-20 x 50.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Shootnmathews wrote:
That's a sharp looking gun. Love the McMillan stock. And hart makes some great barrels.
.83 and 300 yards is superb. I'd love to shoot a group like that. I'll be happy with this gun if I can get that anywhere past 200. I was not impressed with the speed I got with H4831sc, 2581 fps or something near that. I could have upped the charge but i'd be nearing peak pressures. I switched to Retumbo powder at 57.5 grains which gets me 2970 fps with no pressure signs. I'm Working with the seating depth to try to fine tune the load some. First test group was 1" @ 200, but I know it will do better. This is also with new brass FL sized. Soon I'll be neck sizing to .292" which should help tighten the groups some more. I will put up some more results this weekend weather permitting.

Thanks Jared! :thumb: I've since put a .243 barrel on her and sold her... If I find another short action savage for a good deal, I'll probably pick it up though.

I'm suprised that H4831 didn't develop more velocity. That and H4350 are the 'go to' powders in this cartridge. That Retumbo load is more where this cartridge should be in terms of velocity.

I looked through the thread again, and maybe you did mention it, but what bullet are you shooting?

I'm looking forward to more range reports as you get the chance! :thumb: Keep up the good work Jared, and nice shooting! 8)

Shootnmathews wrote:
P.S. I'm going to have to get a more powerful scope. I put the 12x42 SWFA scope on here that I originally bought for the Mosin build. One day soon Ill have to get some more power. The 12x just isn't enough for 1000 yard kill shots. I like to be precise when hunting. I'd like to get this scope back on the Mosin and get a x-20 x 50.

I've got a Leupold MK 4 ER/T 6.5-20X50 (I got a good deal on it :D ) that I'm planning on putting on my 1 mile Mosin Nagant. I don't know if mirage is a problem where you're at, but here in AZ I'm sure that I won't be able to use the 20X setting all the time due to the mirage. Just something to think about...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm 

20 power is the least you want to go. A good scope of 25-26 power would be much better. When you go to 36 power or better the cost is very prohibited.
Make sure you get a scope with the adjustments you want and need. I've seen many post of really expensive scopes guys bought and they hate them. Too complicated or not enough MOA adjustment. Make sure your scope has at least 100 MOA adjustments.
A coating that will "see" though dense air or perhaps give you a view through mirage would be a plus for sure.
I'm just going to bite the bullet and try not to cry too much when I pay for the scope I put on my new rifle.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Rapidrob wrote:
A coating that will "see" though dense air or perhaps give you a view through mirage would be a plus for sure.

I'm not trying to 'nit pick'... but mirage is caused by a drastic temperature gradient in the air that refracts the light rays given off by a particular object. Different air densities have different refractive index's and that is what causes mirage. The intensity of the mirage is dependant on numerous factors including, humidy, altitude, terrain, etc. But the laws of physics remain and you can't 'see through' mirage. Coatings that increase the light transmission through each lense definitely increase the clarity, but you are still seeing the light AFTER it has been refracted by the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm 

Yes, that is true. Some coatings really stop the Blue light spectrum and give you more contrast as you see the mirage. Really bad out here in NM ) Thats all I was saying.
The coatings on today's optic are truly amazing.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Mirage can be an issue here sometimes but not all the time. There's a lot of scopes that are 4.5-20 or 5-20 or 6-20 and such. I'm looking for on that has a max power between 20 & 25. Past that they get to expensive for me. I do like the SWFA mil mil reticle. It's not just dots and its 10 mils of drop below center so you can actually use it for holdover if you want. It'll be great back on the mosin. Leaning towards a Vortex right now. Hard to beat for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm 

I finished the rifle on Wednesday. Got to test fire it. It shoots very well at 500 yards. I'm hoping the rifle will do well at a mile
Red circles are ten shot groups (185 grain upper,200 grain lower)

Attachment:
8mm mag first target.jpg
8mm mag first target.jpg [ 118.21 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

Attachment:
8mm mag second target.jpg
8mm mag second target.jpg [ 211.38 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:14 am 

Your rifle with a 140 grain bullet will shoot out to 1,600 yards with no problem.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:14 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I want to make a 1000 yard hunting gun out of it and a target gun for as far as I can see. Right now I've only got a couple places here to shoot to 500 yards and one to about 750 and one to about 1100. Livi'n in the mountains makes it hard.

BTW very nice shooting. We're those 10 shot groups at 500yards? Very nice if so

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Rapidrob wrote:
Yes, that is true. Some coatings really stop the Blue light spectrum and give you more contrast as you see the mirage. Really bad out here in NM ) Thats all I was saying.
The coatings on today's optic are truly amazing.

Very true! :thumb:

Shootnmathews wrote:
Mirage can be an issue here sometimes but not all the time. There's a lot of scopes that are 4.5-20 or 5-20 or 6-20 and such. I'm looking for on that has a max power between 20 & 25. Past that they get to expensive for me. I do like the SWFA mil mil reticle. It's not just dots and its 10 mils of drop below center so you can actually use it for holdover if you want. It'll be great back on the mosin. Leaning towards a Vortex right now. Hard to beat for the money.

Vortex is developing a cult following... thye have hands-down the BEST warranty in the industry, and they have quite the reputation for quality also.

Good luck! 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:39 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I've been sick for a week with some sort of evil stomach virus, but I shot some more test groups today. I took the best group and loaded some more groups similar but in .01" seating depth changes. These Bergers are sensitive they say.

The best group today was:
57.5 grains Retumbo
3.16" (.07" off the lans)
140 grn VLD Hunting Berger
2970 FPS
Group = .36" @ 200 yards

Savage Long Range Hunter 6.5 x 284 Norma

This is also with new FL sized brass. Another 10 rounds or so and I'll be on second loading Neck sizing. I believe that will snug them up just a touch.

I'll shoot the other test groups tomorrow at 350 yards and the best will be my final load. I'm pretty happy with that group today. She's coming together. For a $729 gun I'm pleased. I didn't expect it to shoot like a custom built gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 am 

Very nice shooting! It is so much fun when it all comes together. My two hundred yard target has the bullets on top of each other. I'm waiting for the powder to be available again. I've contacted the "Mile-Club" and we will be shooting in a couple of months when our windy season ends.
I find my best accuracy is not the max loading.

President NM MILSURPS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I've only got one gun that shoots best at max load. My 243 with 95 grn Nosler BTs and Varget. Although today I just bought some 95 grn Berger VLDs for it. Not sure how they will do. Nosler list a 1:10 twist for a 95 BT and Berger list 1:9 twist for a 95 VLD. I have a 1:10. I am also switching to H4831 since I have 2 lbs of it and no Varget. And since it shoots the best at max varget load and 4831 shoots a little faster it may improve groups with the nosler. Well see what happens with the bergers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next