Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Guns of the Spanish american war

U.S., Danish, and Norwegian
indy1919a4
United States of America

Guns of the Spanish american war

#1 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:39 pm

In Doing some research on guns of the Spanish American War, Came across this very nice little article with some killer photos.. The photo of the Gatling gun guys loading their load boxes for their Bruce feed is awesome..

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... -war-1898/

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Guns of the Spanish american war

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 pm

Interesting I have not seen these photos on any magic later slides or the steroview cards. I wonder what the source was-- some newer archive they did not exist in 1898 when the early magic latern slides & steroview cards were produced?

This one has some nice pictures: http://www.nramuseum.com/media/940555/g ... %20war.pdf

This is a neat web page :
http://www.spanamwar.com/weapons.htm
a bib. on Span Am War Weapons from the above source:
Weapons:

Alger, Prof. P. R., USN, and Twining, Ensign N. C., USN, (The United States Navy Rifle, U.S. Bureau of Ordnance).

Chapel, Charles Edward, The Collector's Handbook of Values. (New York: Coward-McCann, Inc., 1960).

Clerk of Joint Committee on Printing, The Abridgement of Message from the President of the United States to the Two Houses of Congress. (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1899. 4 vols.

Dyer, A. B., Handbook for Light Artillery. (New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1898).

Ezell Edward C., Handguns of the World. (Harrisburg: Stackpole Books, 1981).

Gluckman, Arcadi, United States Muskets, Rifles and Carbines. (Buffalo: Otto Ulbrich Co., Inc., 1948).

Gómez Nunez, Severo, 1899 La Guerra Hispano-Americana. Barcos, cañones y fusiles. Madrid: Imprenta del Cuerpo de Artillería.

Gómez Nunez, Severo, 1902 La Guerra Hispano-Americana. Puerto Rico y Filipinas. Madrid: Imprenta del Cuerpo de Artillería.

Hogg, Ian V., Pistols of the World. Third Edition, (DBI Books Incorporated, 1992).

The Hotchkiss Ordnance Company, LTD, Descriptive Catalogue of War Material, (Factory Catalog, circa 1895)

Howser, Douglas J., "Cuban Republic Insurgents Armed Themselves With Hotchkiss Guns, " The Artilleryman. (Arlington, MA: Cutter and Locke Inc. Vol. 15, No. 2, Spring 1994) 14-17.

Kirkland, K. D., America's Premier Gunmakers: Winchester. (New York: Exeter Books, 1989).

Krausz, John (Editor), "U.S.S. Vesuvius", reprinted from Harper's Illustrated, 1891 in How to Buy an Elephant. (New York: Hawthorn Books, 1977) pp. 155-157.

Mitiuckov, Nicholas, and Patrick McSherry "The Modeled Simulation for Estimating the Effectiveness of Pneumatic Guns," Izhevsk State Technical University Proceedings. 1999, No. 4 (Izhevsk, Russia: Izhevsk State Technical University, 1999) 6 - 9.

Mitiuckov, Nicholas, and Patrick McSherry. “The Fate of a Dynamic Weapon,” Tehnika i vooruzhenie (Technical and Combat Equipment). Part 1, 2003, # 4, 15-20; Part 2, 2003, # 5, 24-26; Part 3, 2003 # 8, 37-40; Part 4 - 2003. - # 10. 26-29

Peterson, Harold L., Encyclopedia of Firearms. (New York: E. P. Dutton and Co., Inc., 1964).

Schreier, Philip, "The Guns of the Spanish American War," Military Classics Illustrated (Los Angeles: Emap USA, 2001).

Watson, Harvey, "The Sims-Dudley Dynamite Gun Received its Test on Cuban Soil", The Artilleryman, (Arlington: Cutter & Locke, Inc., Vol 12, No. 4, Fall 1991, pp. 15-17).
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#3 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:39 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 pm
Interesting I have not seen these photos on any magic later slides or the steroview cards. I wonder what the source was-- some newer archive they did not exist in 1898 when the early magic latern slides & steroview cards were produced?

Many thanks Sir, I did not find those 2 links..

I do not know where these photos came from.. The Gatling gun photo is from the Philippines, or so the article states.

Everyone gives reference to the Spanish and their 7mm Mausers (and well earned).. But finding references to the Argentine 7.65 mausers which Spain purchased for the Melillan Rebellion and then shipped to Cuba, you do not find much reference to..

retread12345678
United States of America

#4 Post by retread12345678 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Many thanks for sharing these unusual photos. There were other arms used as well. My eyes are pretty well used as well, but it looks as if a Danish Krag. is featured in a studio shot about half way through the pictures. Thanks again. HAPPY 4TH !!

Return to “The Krag”