http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:00 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Is there a place, website or book that shows pictures or drawings of the various proof marks, firing proofs, arsenal stamps found on Gew98 and or Gew88s?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Two good books that are readily available for affordable price:
Terrence Lapin, Mauser Military Rifle Markings
Ball, Mauser Military Rifles (you probably already have this one, but I really like the 4th edition)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Thanks Loose Proton, but I have both of those books, and neither has the information that I'm looking for.

Recently I posted a pic of a bolt with a Lion with scepter and someone identified it as Amberg arsenal (sp) in Bavaria. I believe you also added to that post.

How did you identify that proof?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I thought you would have Ball and probably Lapin given the keen interest you have in the particulars of these fine arms.

As you already know, the inspector marks of crown and fraktur character were used almost exclusively by German Empire manufacturers and were not used after the end of WWI. Many other countries did use a crown and letter mark (especially sweden) but the letters were standard letters and not fraktur. This narrows the pool of possible manufacturers of the bolt to probably German Empire between 1898 and 1918.

The most common manufacturers were Prussian or Prussian contract and the Prussian mark is distinctly different than your lion mark. Look at page 169 of Ball 4th edition or at page 105 of Ball 2nd edition.
On the left side of receiver of Danzig examples there's the typical mark found on Prussian parts including the bolt. On the same pages, it's hard to make out, but on the Amberg receiver is a mark that looks similar to your lion and this mark is probably duplicated on the bolt.

The Prussian manufacturers produced a lot of other models besides the Gew98 during this time period but, as far as I know, Amberg only produced Gew98.

dwmmg08 is the one that had the first clue to the manufacturer. I look through these books a dozen times before I find what I'm looking for and still usually miss it anyway. It's too much to know, but the hoppes9 and gun powder sure smell nice :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The Amberg arsenal also produced the K98a.