Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Need to identify some 8x57 ammo

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
WVBrady
United States of America

Need to identify some 8x57 ammo

#1 Post by WVBrady » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi: I have some 8x57 Mauser military ammo that I got several years ago that I would like to find out more about. The headstamps include 7.9 F.8 1950 T C. It is on stripper clips and is nonmagnetic (both case and bullet), spitzer and it in good condition.

I have never fired any of it. I have been out of the C&R community for several years and don't know where I got it from.

I would appreciate any info that anyone could provide, especially if it is corrosive.

Edited to correct to 8x57
Last edited by WVBrady on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ammolab
United States of America

Re: Need to identify some 8x56 ammo

#2 Post by ammolab » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Sounds like Turkish 8x57 Mauser ammo (7.92x57JS). It has a type S bullet (154gr) and is Berdan/Corrosive.

Best in bolt guns as it may over gas semi auto rifles.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm

:confusion-confused: :confusion-confused: :confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-scratchheadyellow:
8 x 56R is an Austrian/Hungarian ammunition for a M1895 mannlicher rifle. It is a rimmed ammunition. It can come in German made form/boxes, but is not for a Mauser Gew 98, Kar 98, Vz24 or other Mausers that user 8mm Mauser. The clip is called an enblock mannlicher clip, not a stripper clip:
German box end looks like this:
P635.jpg
Enblock clips look like this:
IMG_6732.jpg

Mauser ammunition is rimless, bottlenecked cartridges and comes in two versions. Some Mausers also have 7mm mauser (7x57) ammo see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7×57mm_Mauser
most have 8mm Mauser ammo ( 7.92x57), see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92×57mm_Mauser.
Ammolab is the expert and he is correct. I also believe your ammo is Turkish 8 mm Mauser. Does the headstamp look like this:
c1911f5aafaf2adf800eab2f108571ac678dbbfc.jpg
c1911f5aafaf2adf800eab2f108571ac678dbbfc.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
See this link about Turk 8mm mauser ammo it came in cloth bandoleers on striper clips with silver or copper colored tips. see the photo of the striper clips they are cheep brass striper clips, very unlike the quality of German striper clips:
s-l1600-2.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 7.57.35 PM.png
https://www.turkmauser.com/ammo.aspx

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDE4NTc5/a ... 8mm-mauser
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Now you got your ammo listed in the Russian Mosin section> The Mosin uses a 7.62x 54R rimmed bottlenecked cartridge, not 8mm mauser. This is Russian 7.2 x 54R ammo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjwxYAvmSM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×54mmR
Here is a picture of the Russian ammo and style stripper clip for 7.62x 54R;
maxresdefault.jpg
Be sure of what you have. If it is Turkish 8mm mauser it should have the Cresent moon and Star and look like similar to this :
headstamp:
c1911f5aafaf2adf800eab2f108571ac678dbbfc.jpg
c1911f5aafaf2adf800eab2f108571ac678dbbfc.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
To be safe, please post some photos of what you have: The cartridge and headstamp
This is the key
The headstamps include 7.9 F.8 1950 T C.
but best to be safe and post a photo. Also show the striper clip if possible. I hope this info helps. At least gets you in the right direction.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm

If it's Turk 1950 dated ammo, it is sure fire most of the time , sort of hot with a good kick in an 8mm Mauser rifle, and it is corrosive.

WVBrady
United States of America

#6 Post by WVBrady » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:19 pm

ammolab wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 pm
Sounds like Turkish 8x57 Mauser ammo (7.92x57JS). It has a type S bullet (154gr) and is Berdan/Corrosive.

Best in bolt guns as it may over gas semi auto rifles.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had the wrong designation. I remember now, from about 20 years ago that guys were talking about the Turkish ammo and that it seemed to be loaded pretty hot. I have only bolt action Mauser rifles in 8x57, so I will see how they shoot. It will be a while before I can get to the range.

WVBrady
United States of America

#7 Post by WVBrady » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:27 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm
:confusion-confused: :confusion-confused: :confusion-scratchheadblue: :confusion-scratchheadyellow:
8 x 56R is an Austrian/Hungarian ammunition for a M1895 mannlicher rifle...
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had the designation wrong; it is 8x57 Mauser.

I do have a couple of M95 carbines; that is probably why I wrote it wrong. I do have a couple of the clips with the original ammo in it, but I understand that it is somewhat collectible now so I probably won't shoot it. I do have some new brass for it, so I will probably eventually load some low power ammo for it. I haven't slugged the barrels, but I understand that it is difficult to get bullets of the right size to handload for it.

WVBrady
United States of America

#8 Post by WVBrady » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Now you got your ammo listed in the Russian Mosin section> The Mosin uses a 7.62x 54R rimmed bottlenecked cartridge, not 8mm mauser...Be sure of what you have. If it is Turkish 8mm mauser it should have the Cresent moon and Star and look like similar to this :...
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I wrote it wrong. It is definitely 8x57 rimless. I just didn't know if it was corrosive or not. I couldn't tell what the crescent moon was; it just looked like a blob. :D

I do have several Mosins. I have fired only the M38. I have an unopened tin of military ammo, but I will probably just handload for them. I bought some new brass for them several years ago.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: Need to identify some 8x57 ammo

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Yep, corrosive so clean that day and use some Gunzilla. Here is some info on Turk 8mm Mauser :
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... o-Question

Quote from above source:
You may want to check out the Ammo Bunker for ammo related questions.

Here is a nutshell response to your particular questions.

You have fifties Turk 8mm. It should all be OK for plinking. Depending on how it was stored. The real problem year in Turk is 1947, lots of split cases etc.
So you avoided that problem, since yours is from the fifties.

There is also Turk 196 grain from earlier years that is exc.

Turk ammo is not made for you Mausers, it shoots better in the long barreled Mausers in gen. All of your Mausers are shorter barrels.

It is good enough for plinking in your Mausers and is a hoot to shoot, because of the speed it kicks out the bullet.

You can shoot your ammo in all of your listed Mausers with no worries about failures etc. The Mausers you listed will handle any problems well, should they come up.

It is recomended to always wear shooting glasses with any ammo. Case failures in Turk are relatively rare, the only indication you will have is a puff and possibly some minor blowback, hence the shooting glass recomendation.

Your Turk is about 154 grain loaded properly, not hot, it seems hot because of the extra recoil compared to other 8mm. It does kick out the bullet at over 3000 fps compared to Yugo 196 grain around 2500 fps.

Most of it we Chronoed is around 3100 to 3300 fps. Very hefty for 8mm.

Turk ammo is kick butt ammo, very powerful. Unfortunatly it is not consistant or as accurate as Yugo 8mm. Some of the longer barreled Mausers shot it very well, but consistancy was always a problem for batch to batch.

It has been used for plinking for decades here in the U.S. and with 8mm supplies drying up, is a good option for plinking ammo for the rilfes you listed.

Not recomended for semi autos as stated above.

For serious accuracy work Turk 8mm is not a good option.

You wil always get responses on how accurate some shooters think it is, but accuracy is relative, and needs to be defined.

WVBrady
United States of America

#10 Post by WVBrady » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm
If it's Turk 1950 dated ammo, it is sure fire most of the time , sort of hot with a good kick in an 8mm Mauser rifle, and it is corrosive.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it appears to be Turkish. I remember from when I was active in the C&R community that guys reported that the Turk ammo was pretty hot. At that time the ammo available may have been from earlier years, because I was surprised at what good cosmetic condition this ammo is in. Also, I was surprised that both the cases and bullets were nonmagnetic.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 pm

Sounds like you are good to go.

WVBrady
United States of America

#12 Post by WVBrady » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:05 pm

72 usmc wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 pm
Yep, corrosive so clean that day and use some Gunzilla. Here is some info on Turk 8mm Mauser :
https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... o-Question

Quote from above source:
You may want to check out the Ammo Bunker for ammo related questions.

Here is a nutshell response to your particular questions.

You have fifties Turk 8mm. It should all be OK for plinking. Depending on how it was stored. The real problem year in Turk is 1947, lots of split cases etc.
So you avoided that problem, since yours is from the fifties.

There is also Turk 196 grain from earlier years that is exc.

Turk ammo is not made for you Mausers, it shoots better in the long barreled Mausers in gen. All of your Mausers are shorter barrels.

It is good enough for plinking in your Mausers and is a hoot to shoot, because of the speed it kicks out the bullet.

You can shoot your ammo in all of your listed Mausers with no worries about failures etc. The Mausers you listed will handle any problems well, should they come up.

It is recomended to always wear shooting glasses with any ammo. Case failures in Turk are relatively rare, the only indication you will have is a puff and possibly some minor blowback, hence the shooting glass recomendation.

Your Turk is about 154 grain loaded properly, not hot, it seems hot because of the extra recoil compared to other 8mm. It does kick out the bullet at over 3000 fps compared to Yugo 196 grain around 2500 fps.

Most of it we Chronoed is around 3100 to 3300 fps. Very hefty for 8mm.

Turk ammo is kick butt ammo, very powerful. Unfortunatly it is not consistant or as accurate as Yugo 8mm. Some of the longer barreled Mausers shot it very well, but consistancy was always a problem for batch to batch.

It has been used for plinking for decades here in the U.S. and with 8mm supplies drying up, is a good option for plinking ammo for the rilfes you listed.

Not recomended for semi autos as stated above.

For serious accuracy work Turk 8mm is not a good option.

You wil always get responses on how accurate some shooters think it is, but accuracy is relative, and needs to be defined.
Thanks for the reply. Actually, several of my rifles are K.Kale Turks, so they have the long barrels like the original M98 Mausers. I was not aware that the Turkish ammo was not optimum for the shorter barreled K98k. I suppose that would be from using slower burning powder. It might result in a fireball like firing my M38 short barreled Mosin. :D

For initial cleanup at the range, I have read that water with 10% Ballistol is good to squirt down the barrel since it forms an emulsion with water. Then do a more thorough cleanup with straight Ballistol or maybe Hoppe's.

Has anyone pulled the bullets and reloaded the ammo, balancing up the bullet weights and powder charges to try for improved accuracy? I probably won't do that, because I can't see well enough with iron sights to take advantage of that.

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”