http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to go about this, or where a plan can be found? I have plenty of scrap 2x4 and enough plywood in the garage to build a small shed (which I've considered doing, I think some paintball bunkers in the woods behind the house would be great fun :)). I really want to get a proper cleaning stand set up, but I don't want to spend 40 bucks for something that's just a piece of plastic to hold a rifle. I can hold my own with what power tools I have and know enough to know I don't know anything, so I take my time on measurements and stuff. But does anyone have general dimensions or does and dont's for making one?

I made a rifle rack out of some of the scraps following the plans on 7.62x54r.net. It works great, and I think I'm going to use the hole-saw drill bits again to make the forward part (that will support the barrel), and line it with some green felt stuff to prevent scratches. The problem is figuring something out to hold the butt in place enough that it doesn't move around. I've thought about just blocking it in with some 2x or ply, but that means that if I have something with a really long butt it may or may not fit the stand. So any ideas to make it adjustable, or what would be an ideal space between the rear part of the butt rest and the forward barrel part?

Also, should I design it so that it points the barrel downwards a tad? What bout clearance for possible future purchase, if I get an AR or something in the future does there need to be any significant difference in dimensions between the base piece and where the action will sit?

Just looking for some ideas. I've doodled something up but really have no way of sharing it on line (no scanner :(). Any pointers are appreciated, thanks!

NOTE: this is for cleaning only, I have my own equally cheap method for a 'bench rest'. Who knew that some bricks with an inch of foam board duct-taped to the top stacked on a sideways .30 ammo can would be the *perfect* height for the benches at my range? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:24 pm 

First use a 1x6 or plywood. Using your hole saw cut a 2 1/2 to 3" hole in one and cut in half, leaving about 4" on one end and 8" on the other. Screw and glue to the ends of another 1x6 about 24" long. Line the cutouts with the felt you discussed and put some rubber feet on it.

"If you need Anything more, you either love to waste money on useless crap, or have to wear flip flops, because you are too stupid for Velcro sneakers." Burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:08 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Do you ever have a problem with a rifle not wanting to stay in with the rear of the butt rest being open like that instead of blocked off behind? That's really my only big concern (well, not that it's THAT big, I can just start over if it doesn't work, but you know what I mean :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:04 pm 

Usually either the handgrip or triggerguard catches with no problem. And I am a klutz. :lol:

"If you need Anything more, you either love to waste money on useless crap, or have to wear flip flops, because you are too stupid for Velcro sneakers." Burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:31 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I came up with this with a clamp to hold the butt stock tight.. works really well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Very nice POWDERBURN. Is that velcro to hold the barrel down?

YC 98K
(My first mil-surp. Bought for the action several years ago, but numbers all matched so ended up keeping.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

EnRavendoc wrote:
Very nice POWDERBURN. Is that velcro to hold the barrel down?

Yep! works great fits em all that way! :wink: If i recall I think i got 6 bucks in this thing. Foam padding, courtesy of the wife's

place of employment. Next one, if a build another one, will have a larger base and some parts storage areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:13 pm 

Very nice job pB. You need to take pics and make up an article on that when you build your new one.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:56 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Here's some home-made rests that I'm currently working on.......

Forgive the glue-joints on the cleaning brush/screwdriver bit racks; tried out some new Elmer's glue that looks to be an equivalent to Gorilla Glue, the label isn't kidding when it says this stuff expands...

Started out with quarter-sawn oak planks, planed-out and cut to approx. 5"x 1-1/8". Uprights are 4-3/4" and 7" tall, with notches cut 3" and 3.5" deep respectively. I used to go with a 24" base, but that proved a bit too long for AK/SKS rifles so I now use 22". I bored a few scraps for the jag/bit racks, then glued in place. Next time I'll use screws.

Sand, then fit ends, then rounded the edges off with a router round-over bit. I used a palm-sander to smooth everything out and round off the points. Finished off with 2000-grit automotive paper, then oiled with BLO, followed with a few layers of poly to protect against cleaning solvents.

To finish them off, I'll pad the notches with strips cut from flat sheets of foam rubber from the craft section at wallyworld. I'll use the same foam on the bottom of the base as a non-slip padded surface. I'll also epoxy a few small magnets to the base to hold screws and bands handy.

I'll post another photo when they're finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:03 pm 

Let's keep the good ideas coming guys!

Post subject: Finished product.....
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:38 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor