http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

30-06, so bore is .308
I see bullets from .309 - .311
What is the proper size to use and should they be gas Checked ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Unless you are doing really light loads you should use a .310-.311 as-cast slug with crimp on gaschecks and size to .309. I'd recommend picking up a Lyman reloading manual if you don't already have one. They have the best cast bullet load data and instructional material around (imo).

Tiger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:10 am 

I recommend a .309 lubed and gas checked bullet. I've had much success with a 160 grain .309 over 16 grains of Alliant 2400 in my target loads.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Rather than experiment with different sizes and hoping to find what works, make a "throat slug" and measure it. Use a bullet that is no more that 1/2 thousandths under throat diameter. Most commercial .30-06s have throat diameters of .310 to .311, even larger in some military rifles. My M1917 Remington/Enfield has a throat diameter of .314. Don't worry about lead bullets a few thousandths over bore diemeter as they will not cause high pressures.

Cast bullets that are much uinder throat diameter may not start done the bore precisely centered and give poor accuracy as well as create bore leading. Also, pick a bullet design that matches your rifling type. There are some good articles on selecting the correct bullet design for your rifling type in the articles archive on this site.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:12 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

when it comes to reloading and casting everyone has something that works for them. that is the beauty of casting and reloading, finding something that works for you. I cast using a 309 flat nosed 150gr and size also with 309 die. The LFN works really well under the before mentioned 16 grs of 2400. I'm shooting a 1903A3 and this bullet pairs up well with the rifling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:56 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

My best load for my 03A3 is the Lee 180 gr gas check bullet, sized to .309, and lubed with Liquid Alox. I load this over 16 gr of 2400 and a magnum (If I recall correctly) primer. At 100 yards, it will shoot tighter 5 shot groups than my old misty eyes should allow.

I've tried 155 gr, 160 gr, and 180 gr cast bullets in the 30-06, all sized to .309 and gas checked. The above bullet/load works best for me, although they all shot fairly well. As mentioned by a previous poster, you can experiment until you find the "sweet spot" for your rifle.

BTW Lee molds and sizers are cheap. I get wheel weights for free and alloy them with Tin solder. Considering cast bullets use 1/3 the powder, and adding the cost of tin, primer, and lube the cost per shot is less that 15 cents. Reloading jacketed bullets runs around 40 cents per shot. Thus the savings is 25 cents per shot or $25 per 100 rounds. This will buy a Lee mold and sizer. HubbaHubba.

Hector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I have a question for the experts. My Garand has a VERY worn bore, swallows m2 ball up to the case. Needless to say it shoots very poorly with .308 bullets. My question is, would it hurt anything to try say a .314 cast gas checked bullet through it? If so what would be a good approapriate load for it? Thanks guys.

Tokarev svt40, Winchester M1 Garand, K98 code 42, Gew 98 JP sauer und sohl, Inland M1 carbine, Ljungman AG42B, Schmidt-Rubin K11, Enfield No.5 Mk1' m96/38, Budapest M95 Carbine 8x50R, Isreali FN made K98 7.62, various others

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Not a cast bullet expert, but I would slug the bore, I know a lot of garands have worn out muzzles, but the rest of the bore might not be that loose!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:14 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

littlebobby wrote:
I have a question for the experts. My Garand has a VERY worn bore, swallows m2 ball up to the case. Needless to say it shoots very poorly with .308 bullets. My question is, would it hurt anything to try say a .314 cast gas checked bullet through it? If so what would be a good approapriate load for it? Thanks guys.

This is a good question. I have been reloading for bolt action. Last week I bought my first Garand. From what I've been reading it has more stringent requirements due to the gas pressures needed to function properly. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I'm totally new to reloading for the M1. Due to these requirements bullet speeds are going to be high. In my bolt action the load I've been using, 16gr of 2400 is about 1,100 fps. With the loads I've seen for the M1, bullets speeds are about double this. I'm working up a load for my new Garand with IMR 4895 and my CC GC 150gr LFN. I'll also work up some in FMJ.

Last edited by 1Blue on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I as well would by no means call my self an expert on reloading. With that said, the M1 was the second rifle I started to load ammo for when I started to handload ( I now load for 17 different calibers). I have probably loaded 5,000-6,000 rounds for my garand using various different powders and bullet weights ( all within the safe specifications for the garand). I know people who have used gas checked bullets and IMR-4895 powder to cook up a load that would cycle the garand reliably, so I'm near positive it can be done. Also I dont always load for my semi's to cycle. I've loaded for my garand previously with Red dot and Unique powders for close range plinking. With the action not cycling, no need to chase your brass and less wear and tear on the shooter. I have not slugged my bore but the lands are very worn and the groves look quite shallow so this would explain my poor accuracy using .308 bullets. Just wondering if using .314 bullets would cause my rifle to have a gross overload or anything. any imput is greatly appreaciated.

Tokarev svt40, Winchester M1 Garand, K98 code 42, Gew 98 JP sauer und sohl, Inland M1 carbine, Ljungman AG42B, Schmidt-Rubin K11, Enfield No.5 Mk1' m96/38, Budapest M95 Carbine 8x50R, Isreali FN made K98 7.62, various others

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Ditto - I've reloaded my Garand with 12 gr of Red dot for plinking - but it doesn't cycle, still a great load for cast .30 calibers. I've also loaded up 35 gr of H4895 and that's about what it takes to get the Garand to cycle. I've read over on another board that it takes about 1900 fps to get it to cycle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

littlebobby wrote:
I as well would by no means call my self an expert on reloading. With that said, the M1 was the second rifle I started to load ammo for when I started to handload ( I now load for 17 different calibers). I have probably loaded 5,000-6,000 rounds for my garand using various different powders and bullet weights ( all within the safe specifications for the garand). I know people who have used gas checked bullets and IMR-4895 powder to cook up a load that would cycle the garand reliably, so I'm near positive it can be done. Also I dont always load for my semi's to cycle. I've loaded for my garand previously with Red dot and Unique powders for close range plinking. With the action not cycling, no need to chase your brass and less wear and tear on the shooter. I have not slugged my bore but the lands are very worn and the groves look quite shallow so this would explain my poor accuracy using .308 bullets. Just wondering if using .314 bullets would cause my rifle to have a gross overload or anything. any imput is greatly appreaciated.

The more I read about this the more I'm back to loading GC CB for my M1. On the castboolit forum there are many who have been very successfull shooting lead. Also at speeds that cycle. If I find myself not wanting to chase brass, I'll shoot my 1903. But I digress. I don't know if I would go from .309 to .314 directly. I would work up and see how it goes. Get set up with a bigger mould and size the bullets somewhere in between and try that. If that still doesn't work then move up to a larger sizer. I don't think pressures are the worry as much as the loss of accuracy with too large a bullet. If its that bad ever thought about a new barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

littlebobby wrote:

All your questions will be answered if you slug your bore.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Yeah ive thought of a new barrel but its an all correct winchester and i'd hate to break it up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

A .310 or .311 bullet in a worn .30 cal - .308 diameter bore could be just the ticket for improved accuracy. I know of one case where a .308 Winchester was accidentally fired in a .270 and the bullet made it out the barrel and hit the target that was set up about 150 yards out. It didn't do the rifle much good but the shooter was unhurt.