It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1911 Frames
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:59 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Gaston

Mil-Surp Shooter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got a flyer from CenterFireSystems yesterday.

They are advertising 1911 Frames for about $99.00.

Looks like they parkerize them.

Any opinions on this. Good deal?

Gaston

Byrd

Mil-Surp Owner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw that and wondered the same thing. I am currently working on my 10th 1911 build, and have used Essex, and the latest is a Caspian. I wonder how good these are? I have been happy with Essex, which are more expensive, and the Caspian is not that much more, but MUCH nicer finished. I would like to have an option on the next one. Anybody tried one?

arkyboy

Mil-Surp Collector

I've had real good luck with the US made frames at Sarco for $89.95. They're made by SMI in MA. I've built 2 guns using these frames and didn't have a single complaint with either. These have a very dark parkerized finish.

arkyboy

Gaston

Mil-Surp Shooter

OK,

How about this one?

http://www.gunparts.citymax.com/page/page/1396334.htm

Gaston

arkyboy

Mil-Surp Collector

Sarco and The Dealer Wharehouse are sister companies, so they may very well be the same frame. You could call them and ask about the markings to find out. The Sarco frames Are marked "SMI", made in Mass. I have bought a 45 slide and a 38 super top end from TDW and they were very nice quality parts. I've always been happy with their parts.

arkyboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:04 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd show ya'll the result's I got using the Sarco frames. Both of these pistols were built to be plain Jane shooters that I wouldn't be afraid to knock around a little. I just built them with the features I liked. Both pistols were built using the Sarco frames. The first pic is a .45acp using a slide from TDW, and the second used the 38 Super top end, also from TDW. They recently began selling 9mm 1911 barrels at a decent price, so I got one of those to convert the 38 Super to 9mm to take advantage of the cheaper and more readily available ammo. Just takes a 2 min. barrel and mag change to make the swap. That one got the "Parker" Duracoat finish and I couldn't resist a set of colt grips. Got a slide and barrel setup coming from RemSport to build another one in .357 Sig. That one should convert to .40 S&W with just a barrel change. Time to order another frame from Sarco, I'm havin' a lot of fun with these project's. :D
arkyboy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/ ... 1AAAAA.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/ ... mmtest.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:28 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nice pistols Arky. A 1911 in .38 Super is on my want list (along with about 200 or so other guns. I need to start playing the lottery LOL).

“Arms are the only true badges of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.” Andrew Fletcher “Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.” Jeff Cooper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:08 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

arkyboy,
I'm confused on the 9mm 1911, what mags, extractor would be used? after I get a sten made I'm thinking of a 1911 build. making one in 9mm would be a interesting build. muttman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:43 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

There are 3 different slide configurations commonly used for the 1911. 45 acp cal, 357 Sig/40 cal, and 9mm/38super cal. The bolt face is different for each cal. but the cals. I have grouped together here use the same bolt face. You have to use extractors, ejectors and mags designed for each specific cal. group to get everything right. The frame and the internal frame parts are the same for all of them. If you want to build a 1911 in 9mm, you need to make sure to get all top end parts, the ejector and the mag specifically for 9mm. Take a look at 1911 parts in Brownell's catalog and see how they are described. That may give you a better idea of the cal. groups.
arkyboy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:45 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

arkyboy,
thanks this clears things up. muttman

Post subject: Re: 1911 Frames
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:32 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I want a 1911 receiver with parts in it to use on a MechTech CCU. How much gunsmithing is necessary to make one of those frames from various manufacturers and a parts kit into a functional "lower receiver" for a MechTech?

Any suggestions?

Jonathan P.

Post subject: Re: 1911 Frames
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:45 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sarco has a deal on a Rock Island frame with one of their frame kits that includes all of the parts for the lower assy. for $149.95. http://www.sarcoinc.com/handguns.html#frames
The RIA frame is well made and would be great to build a Mech Tech carbine out of. The parts kits they have are mostly GI parts and usually go together without a lot of fitting. There will probably be a little fitting to do to mate the frame & slide, but that's not usually a lot of work with the RIA frame. Call Sarco and talk to them. I think you can get the RIA frame in either a matt blue or parkerized finish.
arkyboy