http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:11 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I noticed the recent post about a Swedish Mauser sling and raised the question about whether my slings are installed correctly. I have Poyer's book about the Swedish Mauser and followed his instructions for installing a sling but it doesn't seem right. The "prong" of the buckle points toward the rifle and thus the sharp point of the prong can strike the underside of the stock. Is this right? The sling I purchased was represented as a Swedish Mauser sling (on GunBroker.com) with the 3 crowns on it. It looks just like the ones described in Poyer's book but after taking a closer look at the buckle placement and the prong, something doesn't look right. Advice?
Thanks,
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Poyer's book is full of so many errors that it is not worth the paper it is printed on .

You are correct , the sharp edge goes away from the stock .

Do yourself a GREAT favor & buy a copy of the best book on Swedish Mausers , " Crown Jewels - the Mauser in Sweden " by Dana Jones .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:33 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Thanks, I'll switch it around; makes more sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:33 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Here, a picture is worth a.....well, you know the rest. :D

These pictures originally came from a gunboards post sticky. It was lost in the new board shuffle, so I don't know the author. Figure they're worth posting even though 318dodge already answered.

metzgeri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:18 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

AWESOME Picts! This definetly belongs in the "need to know" category for all Swede owners!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the pictures, just got a sling today and was slightly clueless...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:59 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

It never ceases to amaze me when such a simple topic gets all screwed-up by book writers. Sometime these topics are intuitive; milsurp rifle slings are not always intuitive. Thank you all for chiming in and elightening me. I think this forum is one of the best values a shooter can have. Thank you all!

Larry

BTW--if you have a few extra bucks and want to donate to a worthy cause, the SurplusRifleForum.com accepts donations....contact Ed Hoffer if you are interested......I don't get paid for fund raising; I'm just inspired to help keep this program running every time I pick-up good information like that supplied in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:40 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I just "re-installed" my slings as described above. The hardware is "insulated" from wooden parts plus the "double side" of the sling is avail for wrapping around your arm in the forearm section of the rifle. Until I'm convinced otherwise, my slings will remain installed in this fashion.

Larry