http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:25 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Wife bought me a new Remington 597 in .22 LR yesterday. I put an el-cheapo 3-7 power BSA rimfire scope on it and took it to the range today. I bought an extra magazine for it as well, and ran the first 20 rounds downrange about a second apart just to check for feed problems as I've read quite a few complaints about the 597 and feed problems. Remington apparently has it fixed as both mags worked fine with some American Eagle ammo.

Bought a 550 round "value pack" brick of Federal plated hollow points from Wally World this morning and zeroed the scope @ 50 yards with them. I hadn't boresighted the scope but it was right on in windage and 2" high at 50 yards. A few clicks on the elevation screw and they were right on. I shot a couple hundred rounds of American Eagle and the Federal hollow points through it. No failures to feed, fire or extract. Next, I cleaned it with Break Free CLP spray and ran the .22 "BoreSnake" through it a couple of times. Fired another 10 of the Federal hollow points at one of the 1" dots on the sight-in target, again at 50 yards. Pretty much managed to keep 'em all in the dot even with my occasional flinch from the guy firing the 300 Win Mag on the lane next to me. Glad it wasn't a .375 H & H (the largest caliber allowed on this indoor range).

All-in-all, I like the rifle. It's certainly accurate enough for tree rats and bunnies and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on prairie dogs or coyotes in a pinch either. It appears that Volquartson is making some accessories for it so if someone wants to customize it there are barrels and such out there that cost more than the rifle did originally, just like the 10/22 stuff.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

NRA Life Member - Member Kansas Rifle Association (KSRA) - NRA Certified Pistol instructor, Reloading instructor and Range Safety Officer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:38 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

The 597 got a bad rep when it first came out, but the newer mags and not overtorquing the guide rail set screws seems to clear it up. Good to see yours is doing well! If you're looking for a good mod, try the Volquartsen hammer. The trigger pull is so much better with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:24 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

DrThunder88 wrote:
The 597 got a bad rep when it first came out, but the newer mags and not overtorquing the guide rail set screws seems to clear it up. Good to see yours is doing well! If you're looking for a good mod, try the Volquartsen hammer. The trigger pull is so much better with it.

DrThunder88,
Thanks for the info. My wife bought the rifle for me strictly on the looks of that grey synthetic stock, and how it felt to her when she picked it up. (I think she's hinting I should take her shooting more often ya think?) I started researching the 597 extensively when I accidentally discovered the "lay-away" ticket for the local Gander Mountain and saw a lot about the early-on FTF problem with the magazines. Most of the gripes I found via a Google search were dated 2006 and earlier so I wasn't too worried and was very pleased when ours functioned flawlessly.

I have a C & R FFL, and thanks to Midway's (and many others) liberal policy, I get a dealer discount and already have the Volquartsen hammer on order. It should be here this afternoon along with a TC Encore barrel I ordered for a friend yesterday. I like the fire control mechanism on the 597 as it's easy to get to and easy to work on. Should be a snap to change the hammer.

Again, thanks for the tip

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

NRA Life Member - Member Kansas Rifle Association (KSRA) - NRA Certified Pistol instructor, Reloading instructor and Range Safety Officer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:13 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Good to hear its working out for you..

There does seem to be alot of consensus on both sides good and bad on them.

I'm still up in the air about them. One thing for sure it has to be an improvement over the

old 522 Viper. Now there was something to behold #-o Ejectors snapping off, extractor hooks that worked

sometimes.. All assembled in a disorganized package! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:30 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Hey....I have one of those Vipers! AND...............it sucks.

The truest joy to be found in shooting is simply to shoot a little bit better than the guy sitting at the next bench. Or a LOT better depending on how much more his rifle cost than yours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:07 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

TANSTAAFL wrote:
Hey....I have one of those Vipers! AND...............it sucks.

I was trying to be "diplomatic" but yes the work "Sucks" does fit :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:37 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Yeah, most bad guns will have at least a few apologists. I don't know of many Viper fans...at least those who publicly identify themselves as such.