http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:48 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

After drooling on the keyboard over (Vaarok's) wikipedia photo of a Gewehr 98, the boys and I are now wondering
a) how much they are going for ?
and
b) how often do they turn up at gunshows?

I looked on gubroker and didn't find a single one listed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Turks run about $250-350, okayish Imperial Gew98s run maybe $400-600, and good Gew98s tend to hover around $700-1,000 depending on condition and rarity.

They're pretty scarce lately, but it seems that's cyclical.

You could always cheap out and just get an A, B, or C series 98/22 with the lange sight. They're usually under $300, and made mostly of German leftover parts by the Czechs right after WW1.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:38 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Ouch! :( Cheap out with a Czech 98/22? I love the things. Something about those long, slender Czech ladies...... I know what you mean though. Some rifles are just more collectible than others, whether they shoot better or not. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, just couldn't get past the "cheap out" thing. :D

"These are my credentials!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

They are worth that much? I guess I should have jumped for that nice Danzig at the last gun show for $425... :x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Matching, decent Imperial Gew98s are very valuable. Mismatches are fairly valuable. Auction prices generally are higher than gunshow or shop prices, as they have people compete.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Keep looking for a nice one, you'll find one.
I picked up a very nice GEW 98 rifle about a year ago, all matching except for the bolt ,bayonet lug and rear sight , and I payed $250. The rifle is a 1917 Oberndorf and it has all the imperial proofs on it too. It has a very faint Turkish stamp on the stock but none on the metal . Nobody bid on this rifle ( gunbroker) because it had a crack in the stock between the 2 bands , it looked horrible in the guys ad but when I got it home the crack was hardly visable . $250 for a nearly all matching rifle ( bet the mismatched parts were parts recovered from damaged guns and their origional to this gun ) ain't too bad.
I don't get it, theres very few GEW 98's for sale and you can get matching guns for much less then a WW 2 98K . These Gew 98's have the same history the 98k's have.

and if you get one, don't refinish it ! some parts have no blue and some have blue. The Germans purposely made some of the parts with no blue ( in the white ) and some with blue. and just apply Boiled Linseed oil to the stock to preserve it. Thats all.

Get a copy of the History channels Tales of the gun. One of the shows is about the Gew 98 and the 98 K. Great pictures of the Gew 98 being fired by WW 1 German reanactors.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I picked up a 1916-dated Spandau this weekend at our nationally-famous flea market for $250. It's a mismatched parts gun, one of 2 the seller had in almost identical condition. I'm looking for info and will start a new thread describing it fully; any info and/or opininions you might have would be most welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

From the various collector sites and input from forums, I can now say with a good bit of certainty that both G98's I saw were imported from Spain prior to 1968. Both were essintially parts guns refurbed and reassembled by the Spanish. ( The only Spanish marking is a small almost invisible grenade placed on the original German stock cartouches. ) All parts have been blued, other than the bayonet lug and cleaning rod, and the stock lightly sanded; bore looks good with strong lands and grooves. All are original German G98 parts with all original markings on wood and metal present. The sights were changed post-war from the Lange Visier to the simple tangent-type used on Kar98k's.

The one I bought is a Spandau dated 1916, with a transional stock having the ID disc and finger grooves. The other one was an Amberg dated 1918 with bolt takedown eye and finger grooves AND a burned in 3-letter monogram. I didn't buy it because I wanted the earlier date; but thereby made a BIG mistake: the monogram ( which looked very WRONG to me! ) actually marked it as the property of a Bavarian Freikorps unit in the 1920's! Talk about a history; made for WWI, fought Commies post-war; then sent to Spain to fight some more! And either one for $250!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

thanks for all the replies guys. Just read them tonight, been busy deer hunting this week - its that holy time of year here in PA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

My first post here and I'm dragging this thread up from the deapths :D

I'm just getting into C&R firearms. I'm picking up a new rifle tomorrow, a Turk gew 98. The stock is in fairly rough shape. My question is, does it hurt the value of this rifle if i refinish just the stock? I'd really like get the wood back in beautiful, new-ish condition, but not at the cost of killing the value, should I decide to sell down the road to make room in my closet.

Let me know what you would do!

Also, the only ammo I can find is 198 grain modern non-corrosive 8mm. Am I OK putting that through this gun? I'll have the head space checked before shooting, but is it ok?

Thanks, can't wait to check out the site more!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:35 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

SoK wrote:
My first post here and I'm dragging this thread up from the deapths :D

I'm just getting into C&R firearms. I'm picking up a new rifle tomorrow, a Turk gew 98. The stock is in fairly rough shape. My question is, does it hurt the value of this rifle if i refinish just the stock? I'd really like get the wood back in beautiful, new-ish condition, but not at the cost of killing the value, should I decide to sell down the road to make room in my closet.

Let me know what you would do!

Also, the only ammo I can find is 198 grain modern non-corrosive 8mm. Am I OK putting that through this gun? I'll have the head space checked before shooting, but is it ok?

Thanks, can't wait to check out the site more!

I wouldn't refinish the stock. If it's dry, I'd just put a light coat or two of boiled linseed oil on it – you can do this by putting it into 0000 steel wool if you want to smooth out the stock as well as give it some finish.

As far as the ammo, a Gew 98 is an incredibly strong action (the Gew 88 is not, so be doubly sure you know what you have) and you can put whatever 8mm ammo you can find through it, provided it's in good shape.

The commercially available 8mm ammo in the U.S. is weak, and most people shoot it through even the weaker Gew. 88. I have 2 Gew 98s, and I shoot surplus 8mm ammo through it, cleaning for corrosive ammo each time (Basically, clean it with hot water, then clean it with solvent and oil - the water breaks down the corrosive salts that will otherwise harm your bore).

Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I agree, boiled linseed oil (BLO) is really the safest bet. Not to cause a dust up, but since you are just getting started in C&R collecting, do your research on real BLO vs. the rubbish they sell in the hardware stores. And finally as you likely know, the used BLO rags are quite flammable, ABC News just did a story about how easy the rags will combust if left alone in a box/bin/bucket/garbage can. etc....