Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Flat or round?

Hammerdown
United States of America

Flat or round?

#1 Post by Hammerdown » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 am

All things being equal which bullet shape will do more damage to soft tissue- round nose or flat point(truncated)?
Say a 9x19 with a 124gr. fmj going 1200fps which bullet profile wound stop an attacker with more damage, if any at all?
I know hollow points will do more damage but I'm looking for an answer referring to just those two.
Last edited by Hammerdown on Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Obvious, you have never failed me!

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

Re: Flat or round?

#2 Post by ghostdevilguy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 am

The flat point does the most damage, IMO, just an example, but look at all of the stories about .38 special wadcutters loaded backwards doing some major damage, most I know of are from former police officers and there is not really a way to know if the stories are true or not, but I have heard a few varitaions of the story. And the thing in common with all of them is a wadcutter loaded backwards, so there has to be some truth behind it.

Hammerdown
United States of America

#3 Post by Hammerdown » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 am

A good majority of 38 wadcutter bullets have a hollow base, so if you loaded backwards you would have a hollow point. Back when police still carried 38 specials there wasn't the huge selection of wadcutters we have today of all types and shapes.

Urbanwolf
United States of America

#4 Post by Urbanwolf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:25 pm

At last! My weird hobby has a use! I have a hobby of shooting all my different bullets into different materials to see how they perform and then saving the bullets in jars. Don't judge me! LOL! Now I'll admit I haven't tried the 9x19 and I haven't shot meat or a meat substitute. (If I can afford meat it's going in my belly if I can afford a meat substitute I'm still spending the money on meat for my tummy!) but one I have tried is the .38 shot from a .357 Rossi. The wad cutters I use are flat on both ends. I shoot into logs, cans filled with water, dirt etc. in almost all cases I get better penetration with the r.n. But a more energetic result with the wadcutter. For instance a Pringles can with water end to end the r.n. Will puncture while the wadcutter looks like a firecracker going off. In logs shot from the end. the channel will be cleaner with the r.n. But the wood fibers more damaged with the wadcutter. As a side note my home defense pistol is a .357 loaded with .38 wadcutters ( the wife won't shoot .357 rounds) the wadcutters are milder enough for her.

Urbanwolf
United States of America

#5 Post by Urbanwolf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 pm

image.jpeg

Urbanwolf
United States of America

#6 Post by Urbanwolf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 pm

image.jpeg

Urbanwolf
United States of America

#7 Post by Urbanwolf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm

image.jpeg

Urbanwolf
United States of America

#8 Post by Urbanwolf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Sorry for the bad pictures I just took some quick shots with my iPad

Hammerdown
United States of America

#9 Post by Hammerdown » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 am

Thank you Urbanwolf for posting the pictures. I'm surprised the lead wadcutters didn't expand more in the harder wood and dirt.
Unfortunately in semi-auto pistols you can't shoot flat nose wadcutters.
What I'm trying to find out is if I have a choice in fmj plinking ammo will one be a better defensive round if needed for that role in haste.

AJMBLAZER
United States of America

#10 Post by AJMBLAZER » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Flat nosed. The flat portion ( the meplat) works like a wad cutter and cuts through the target like a stamping die. The round nosed bullets tend to push aside the tissue and sinew strands that get in their way.
1950-ish FN M1930 Carbine in .30-06
Variety of other, nonsurplus, guns.

ammolab
United States of America

#11 Post by ammolab » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 am

You want the truncated cone bullet. Maybe more damage but for sure straight true penetration. The TC bullet is "point stabilized" in dense medium (flesh). It will not stray off in a random direction, and also better thru glass and sheet metal if entering at an angle.

The original German 9mm military load was a TC bullet. Complaints that it was too deadly caused them to go to a RNFMJ.

Ozzman
United States of America

#12 Post by Ozzman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 am

Hammerdown wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 am
All things being equal which bullet shape will do more damage to soft tissue- round nose or flat point(truncated)?
Say a 9x19 with a 124gr. fmj going 1200fps which bullet profile wound stop an attacker with more damage, if any at all?...
At close range, I really don't think it would matter. 124 grains of solid SWC or FMJ would ruin anyone's day. Honestly, at the average 5' attacks take place, the bullet will indeed penetrate from one end of the body and out the other.

I think we may be losing sight of the intent of self defense Hammer. If the worst day of our lives were to come (where we need to use lethal force), we have to remember that our intent should always be to "stop" the attack... Do whatever is necessary to stop the assailant. We all know aim for the vitals, but if that is not available then shoot where ever it takes to stop the threat: foot, knee, arm, etc. Just as long as the shot(s) stop it. Only then IF the perp dies from the wounds then so be it, but our intent for self defense should never be to KILL with the greatest efficiency. Leave that for the hunting rifles during deer season.

Choose a round that is designed for self defense such as Speer Personal Protection, or Federal HST and practice, practice, practice. Make sure it is reliable in your firearm, and that you are accurate with it. Be ever vigilant... and it should end at that .

I would hope that none of us want to see ourselves in court explaining to a jury of 12 why we loaded our bullets to maximum charges with the most lethal bullet we could imagine with the family of the deceased in the same room.... That's just me.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

DaleH
United States of America

#13 Post by DaleH » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm

FLAT ... for proof in another caliber, look at the profiles of special 'small game' 22LR hunting bullets. All of them essentially have a flat filed onto the nose of a roundnose bullet. Technically such a profile is called a 'melplat'.

And please don't call it a 'flat melplat', as that would be redundant, like saying something is shaped like a 'round sphere', i.e., whereas by definition a sphere is indeed quite round.

Hammerdown
United States of America

#14 Post by Hammerdown » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:05 pm

I was thinking the truncated bullet shape as well. Wanted to get some opinions on the subject. Thanks.

Return to “General Ammunition”