http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:39 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

My Inland M-1 carbine arrived from cmp with "G-3" on the attached tag.
Does anyone know what that means?
I am guessing it is muzzle gage, since cmp promises "muzzle gage 3 or less" on service grade, which is considered good.
Another web site offering to sell manufactured muzzle gages says 3 is a "bald tire, replace the barrel".
Any explainations appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:50 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Trust the CMP. A 3 on a scale of 5 is "about 1/2 worn out. Crank off a few rounds at 50 yards and you'll see it's just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:57 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I will back sandlapper's comment up with experience. I have an Inland with a G-3 and I shot it at 50 yards for the first time and got a group. Trust me i'm not a competition shooter and I still was proud of how that gun did at 50 yards :thumb:.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

that is what the cmp armorers use to identify the different grades. grade 3 is a service grade. because, i have gotten five service grade rifles from the cmp and they were tagged g3 but they had from 1.5 to 2.5 muzzle wear with my gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:22 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

curtis wrote:
that is what the cmp armorers use to identify the different grades. grade 3 is a service grade. because, i have gotten five service grade rifles from the cmp and they were tagged g3 but they had from 1.5 to 2.5 muzzle wear with my gauge.

curtis is exactly correct. The G3 tag signifies a SG rifle.

I also agree with the others, go shoot it first. If it is not up to your standards the rifle can always be re-barreled, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

If there is wear right on the edge of the muzzle area, maybe you can have the muzzle recut or recrowned unless the arsenals did it too much already. You can buy a hand tool cutter to do this. 45 degree cutter with a 30 cal. pilot rod. The arsenal cutters were a little deeper cutting angle I think. But 45 is good for GP muzzle refreshing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:13 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

CaptBilly,I Don't know the correct muzgauge either but the test with the "round" placed in the barrel-the "less"that goes in the barrel the better is a quick indication- although my Inland takes almost all of the round, But at 50 yards I've got a super tightgroup & 25 to35 yards can make a beer can do tricks.So you could try placing the rnd.in the barrel.Hope This Helped.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

SemperJack and capt.billy,

FYI: Make sure your using a .30 cal M2 round for your muzzle test, NOT a .30 carbine round. Let us know how that turns out or better yet, take a picture of it.

good luck
tony

— Oliver Cromwell, 1599-1658

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:02 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Let me take a wild guess ,Fulton Armory is the "other web site" ? Ya they are in the buisness of selling barrels. Dont worry about it mw of 3 should be fine for a plinker.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Very enlightening, thanks to all who replied. My picture taker is out of town so it will be a while before I get one. Did hear from CMP that my 15 round magazine is on the way, but no ammo yet. I am very happy with the carbine I received, and I suspect the muzzle will guage very well whenever I get the opportunity. The bore looks perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Freeride/Tony-Liked the song,but your observation is OUTSTANDING.Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:25 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

=D> =D> =D> CARBINES, muzzle wear, #-o #-o No one can own just one, so save yourself some time and get your gauge. You will need it when you buy your next 5 or 6 different war babies. :wink: When you set down $900 for a carbine, you damn sure want to know its wear characteristics :idea: :idea: :idea: :arrow: Accumounts makes a .30 caliber set that ranges from 7.61 to 7.72 in .01 intervals on ebay. You will certainly be able to tell muzzle wear and throat erosion. GO FOR IT :!: I love his 6.5 and 8mm set. OR :arrow:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006 ... /index.asp
http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.as ... C_ID=59302
see: accumountson ebay
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/accumount ... omZQQ_mdoZ

Also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bore-Gauges-4-calib ... 7C294%3A50

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Doggone you anyway. I got such a nice one from CMP I am feeling the "nobody can buy just one" syndrome sinking into my bones. After all, why shoud I wear it out when I can get one not so good to wear out and I've got a wedding to go to in August. You'll have me hitchhiking to get there. Do you think the kids will like an m-1 carbine wedding present? Hmm. Good idea! Otherwise, great information. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:02 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Capt.Billy you have a major problem, once you give the carbine as a gift.......What are you going to do about the EMPTY SPACE created by her absence ??? LOL (we are all in the same boat)