http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:17 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hello there i am new on thi board. I have recently baught and US Model of 1917 and I want to use it at the range as soon as possible. But which 30-06 load would be the best choice for that nice old rilfe. I would be pleased hearing some opineons.

Thanks for your answers in Advance

Greetings from Austria.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:57 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

any Military M2 Ball.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:43 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Welcome to the boards. If you get a chance, please post some pictures of your 1917 rifle (we like to look at people's new guns).

US Military M2 Ball ammunition would be fine, but if that is not available in Austria then any commercial or surplus .30-06 ammunition will work. The 1917 has one of the strongest actions ever made and will handle anything you feed it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:56 am 

I seem to remember a few years ago, there was some Austrian surplus 30-06 for sale over here that was declared to be too "hot" for rifles, especially M1 Garands. Anyone remember anything about it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thx for your answers. I will check if I can get some us military 30-06 surplus rounds here in Austria.If not it should be no problem to get some sureplus rounds from other countries.. I have allready seen some german Geco rounds at a good price. Do you a good online source for some us made m2 ball rounds? mayby I can ask my importer to order some for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:57 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

iceman00 wrote:
Thx for your answers. I will check if I can get some us military 30-06 surplus rounds here in Austria.If not it should be no problem to get some sureplus rounds from other countries.. I have allready seen some german Geco rounds at a good price. Do you a good online source for some us made m2 ball rounds? mayby I can ask my importer to order some for me.

I don't think that US manufactured is necessary, just that it is US M2 Ball spec ammo, which a lot of countries made. I believe that Denmark made .30-06 ammunition (AMA Headstamp) which is rumored to be really good ammo. It has not been seen here in the US for a while but you might be able to get it in Europe. You can also probably find Greek HXP ammo which is what a lot of us shoot here. There was a lot of Korean PS and KA headstamped ammo here in the US 4-5 years ago but it seems to have dried-up. If you get KA stamped ammo, remember that it is corrosive and you will need to clean your barrel and bolt face with water within a few hours of firing it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:00 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

My handload to duplicate M2 ballistics for my Garand, 1903, and 1917 for commercial brass is CCI #34 primer, 48.5 gr.s IMR-4895, Hornady 150gr. BTSP interlock bullet. This load is very accurate in my rifles and runs 2800fps in the Garand perfect for the gas system. My Eddystone 1917 will shoot 1.5 MOA if I do my part but I can't shoot iron sights as good as I did 20yr ago so it is probably capable of much better. I use the CCI #34 because it has milspec sensitivity and minimum chance of slam fire in the Garand. It is considered a magnum primer though and I had to reduce the charge a half grain from the normally recommended 49gr with IMR-4895 to acheived M2 spec(2800fps) with 150gr bullet. Remember to always start 10% lower and work up to determine if a load is safe in a particular rifle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:56 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

There is no need for M2 spec ammunition for a 1917 or 1903/A3. Whatever 3006 you can find, you can shoot. It's nice to be aware of the differences between commercial 3006 and USGI M1/M2 ball, but it is only relevant for Garand shooters.

As was mentioned in a previous thread, the 1917 action is very robust. Any commercial 3006 will be perfectly fine in a properly headspaced bolt gun like the 1917.

I'd suggest Privi Partisan, they have two different 3006 match loads similar to their 308 Win load. That's pretty decent ammo in our market. http://www.prvipartizan.com/rifle.php

Regards,
Brian in CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

brianinca I see. Thx for the infos, that makes thins much more easier. I will report when I have fired my new rifle the first time at the range and I will also post some pics.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I wasn't implying that you had to use M2 ball in 03s and 17s. I do in fact use a rather stout handload with 165 gr. ballistic tips in my sporterized remington m1917 for deer hunting. In my all orginal eddystone the M2 equivalent load I mentioned in my earlier post shoots as well as anything i've tried in it. With iron sights my M2 load groups as well in all my 30-06 as I can see to shoot. Recoil is moderate and the loads are fairly economical. But you are right about the M1917 actions they are one of the strongest bolt guns ever built, military or commercial. It is a good idea to check the receivers for cracks however if the barrel has ever been replaced, especially on an Eddystone. Due to the interference fit of the barrel threads the receivers are prone to crack if the barrel is improperly removed. A knowledgable gunsmith will make a relief cut on the barrel to remove the torque from the threads before removing the barrel from these actions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thx for the further information. I am looking forward to use my new rifle at the range. :D Myby I will use it for hunting next year. I am intersted in hunting deer, and as the m1917 actions are very strong it should be no problem to use modern hunting ammo in 1917. Something like the 150 grain silvertipps.

jjames455 Thx for the warning I have allready braught my m 1917 to a gunsmith for inspection because you never know.