http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Does anyone else have a tough time loading their clips into the rifles magazine?
For some reason I have a tough job on all of my Carcano's regardles of which clip or rifle I use.

I also have a question about what I should do with a bunch of fairly clean surplus ammo I have. Should I pull it apart and use the bullets with new powder in new cases when I get some reloading dies for it? The rifles I have are all the 6.5 caliber so far.
I have about 60 rounds of 1939 dated brass cased ammo, all on clips.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:07 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The clips were intended to be expendable - once they fell from the rifle, that was it - another clip was stuffed in & away the shooter went. Which means they eventually get a little out of spec & become hard to load. You wind up having to pull them from the magazine, too.

I've got a plastic mallet I use for bullet casting and have had a little luck carefully tapping the back of the clip a little until it becomes narrower. Careful is the operative word for this operation. :wink: One whack too many and the clip is useless.

As far as the old ammo, once you pull the bullet, closely inspect the powder. If it's not clumped or doesn't smell strongly, you can add it to a primed, modern case - seat the bullet to spec and blast away. The main objection to shooting the old ammo is that the brass becomes brittle with age and might fail.

I'm not saying it will all come apart, but once is too often for me. The load is specific to the rifles and works well. You also eliminate the corrosive primer. I save the old cases and kill the primer with acetone or WD-40. You can add bullets and use them for display purposes then - put a dab of model paint on them somewhere like the tip of the bullet so you know they are inert. Ren

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Thanks for the info, it isn't just me then. I now have about 20 clips, most of them steel with a few of the brass ones. I won't use the brass ones just because they make a good display and look to be easier to lose their shape.

I'll probably take the ammo apart and reload it into new cases, then take a few of the old brass and make them into dummies, then take the rest and kill the primers and put them into my brass/bronze/copper pile to take to the port for money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I'll double check the headstamp date, I was going from memory, and might be wrong, and am quite often wrong.
I'll look it up and get back.

Edit

You are correct, I went and looked, and this is the breakdown of my 6.5 ammo that I have. No 1939 dated stuff as you will see, with the exception of 1 lone round of 7.35 that I have.
Headstamp and date followed by #owned and then brass case or steel

TM B-36 31rds. Brass
SMI 936 1 Brass
SMI 938 1 Brass
CA B-41 2 Brass
CA C-41 4 Brass
SMI 941 1 Brass
SMI 942 1 Brass
BPD 942 1 Steel
CA C-42 8 Brass
CA B-42 1 Brass
SMI 943 1 Steel
PV C-43 1 Brass
RM B-44 1 Brass
BP C-49 2 Brass
BPD 950 1 Brass
SMI 951 3 Brass
SA C-51 3 Brass
SMI 952 9 Brass
SA C-53 6 Brass
SMI 954 1 Steel
SG C-58 6 Brass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:32 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

It would actually be interesting to research - from an ammo collector viewpoint now - whether any 6,5 mm ammunition at all produced in 1938 and 1939. In any case, it would be rare...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:44 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

6.5mm ammo and 7.35 ammo both use the same diameter case, so the research isn't going to help loading and unloading clips since they were designed to be interchangeable between rifles, or is that not needed to be redesigned for 7.35mm ammo.

Ren's right, the clips are expendable, so they are now exceeding their designed use, ONCE. I have to keep pushing that release on the trigger guard to release the clip and help load at times. Cest La Vie/Guerre.

If you get a TYPE I Arisaka/Carcano, that problem was eliminated....

Best Regards,

Mark