It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accurizing the SKS?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:43 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

spystyle

Mil-Surp Shooter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello from Maine,

Are there instructions for accurizing the SKS?

Thank you,
Craig

Germankind

Mil-Surp Owner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the general consensus is that the SKS is about as accurate as it can be, the way it was built- there isn't much market for heavier barrels or any of the usual things people do to accurize their rifles. What little there is, is generally regarded as crap (i.e. receiver cover scope mounts)... as far as optics, a D&T scope mount or a good solid scout mount are really your only good options, and you could put a muzzle brake on, though with a round like the 7.62x39, there's not much point to that. Most people would probably say, shoot it as is!

~Evan

Biohazzard56

Mil-Surp Owner

A High quality Mojo or scout mount would be do well. And dont even think about getting a reciever cover mount, they wont hold a zero. Also, ive heard nothing but good from Kivaari's SKS trigger work. Maybe even a dragunov stock.

kivaari

Mil-Surp Owner

This is just my opinion, ok?

I'm not sure any of the gadgets and gizmos will make it any more accurate. For example, the aftermarket stocks are not as sturdy as the original; they are also made to fit ALL sks so they won't fit tightly without shims, likely, and those are usually provided. Factory stock can be shimmed with plastic strips in a fishscale pattern at the rear lug slot.(See wobbly stock thread)

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post ... ost7294850

The discontinued Bell and Carlson is the best aftermarket stock, imho; they occasionally "turn up". Muzzle brake..rifle doesn't really recoil much. The only addition I use is a 1" extension on the butt to increase the length of pull to a comfortable range. Avoid taking the rifle action out of the stock as much as possible.

Take the bayo off and wrap it for storage to be installed when/if you sell the rifle.

I'm not a fan of scopes on the sks unless it's a scout and also something with "0" parallax, ie. quality red dot, etc. There is simply too much height of the line of sight over the boreline.

The best "irons" are definitely the TechSight. It's an aperture system and the sight radius is increased about 10 inches. Simple laws of physics minimize sighting error.

A crisper trigger with less creep and pull will most definitely help. Also using a GI web sling in the "loop" fashion will increase your ability to hold a sight picture longer assuming you're attempting to improve your marksmanship and avoiding a bench for resting.

Find the best ammo in your rifle and buy lots of it and shoot it often. The money you save on accessories use to buy more ammunition and shoot some more.

Just my .02...I guess I'm a purist after all...

kivaari

Quality sks trigger tuning
http://www.kivaari.com

spystyle

Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks for the replies everyone

I was not thinking of accessories, just a Choate D&T scope mount. I was hoping to get an example of glass bedding and that type of accuraizing. I am going to glass bed with JB Weld on my Mosins and thought I could do on my Yugo 59/66 as well.

There are a bunch of accuraising steps for the Mosin, but it's sucessor the SKS has none? That surprises me.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Craig

delta5

Mil-Surp Shooter

Just enjoy the SKS for what it is, a very nifty fine made little rifle.

spystyle

Mil-Surp Shooter

So no one has bedded their SKS?

Germankind

Mil-Surp Owner

I'm no expert, but it seems to me it'd be somewhat pointless to bed a semi-automatic weapon of any kind. Bolt action rifles don't have a big bolt assembly flying back and forth every time they fire, so the way the barrel interacts with the stock becomes much more important- but with a semi-auto, there's so much going on mechanically every time you fire, that glass bedding really won't help much. One thing that's been said around here, is that the Yugo 59/66 is (supposedly... and I think it makes sense) more accurate if you flip the gas regulator into grenade mode and shoot it as a single-shot, manually chambering and ejecting every round. This keeps the bolt assembly from moving, and makes the rifle steadier. But even then, the SKS is not suited for glass-bedding. I think step 1 is to admit that the SKS doesn't have the potential to be *quite* as accurate as the average bolt-action rifle of equivalent quality, in similar shape. That said, as you know, it is an accurate weapon, for what it is- and it seems to me that you've got the right idea in a D&T scope mount. But my (admittedly amateur) advice would be not to spend the time and money on glass bedding. Sorry for the long post, lol. And of course, anyone should correct me if I have my facts wrong- either way, I hope this helps...

~Evan

part_time

Mil-Surp Shooter

I've only had my SKS about 2 weeks and its plenty accurate for man and beast. If your SKS has a trigger like mine, a trigger job should be top on the list, this will help you to shoot the rifle more accurately. And/or buy a case of ammo and practice. I have been shooting mine about every other day and I am shooting it alot better. I have bedded all my other rifles, and was planning on doing my SKS...but when you look at how the SKS is designed there is no practical place to put a bed, if your recoil lug is flush tight to the receiver on the top and rear, its as good as it's going to get.

briang2ad

Mil-Surp Owner

Years ago, my Paratrooper Norinco outshot a nice Winchester 30-30 next to me from a bench - and this with a bad trigger. I may try the trigger job on this site...

mohavejoe

Mil-Surp Owner

Try a KIVAARI trigger job, improved sights - MOJO OR TECH, and a new butt pad to extend the reach.

Garand1957

Mil-Surp Owner

I second Mohavejoe ...Those are all things that will likely improve your accuracy.

13Bravo

Mil-Surp Owner

I was looking through a Bushmaster catalog and came across some butt-pads, and other misc. stuff they have for the SKS. I think they even had a cheek rest for it too, but the website doesn't show it.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/ak/

maz43

Mil-Surp Owner

Ther used to be an accurizing thread over on the SKS boards forum but since the forum crashed they lost the info. I glassed my Chinese SKS56 (recoil lug and rear of reciever), recrowned the bore and put a Williams rear peep on mine. I shoot handloads and remove the gas piston. The rifle was a 6 to 8 moa gun. With the right loads I can get an honest and consistent 3 moa. With the piston in it opens up to about 4 moa.
The biggest problem with the gun was an off center crown.