http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Bad news from my gunsmith.

He called me yesterday that the UK59 barrel did not have enough threads to headspace in the

Hungarian M44 action that I decided to use.

He told me that he had to take out the cut for the bolt lug, extend the threads and rechamber.

He called me today that the reamer was not cutting the chamber because the barrel was chrome lined and
that there is no way to rechamber to head space it.

There go my dreams of having a heavy barrel MN.

What have other people done to ream and headspace??

Any suggestions??

Oscar

The second step is to ignore the first step

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

get a different heavy barrel or a different gunsmith?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

barrel sleeve?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:20 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

What about facing off the action? As long as it's only a 1/8th or so I wouldn't think that would hurt anything. I believe facing 1/16th off the receiver will give another full turn of the barrel unless my math is way off (threads are 16 per inch). If more than a 1/8th is needed to headspace, you may be S.O.L.

We either accept weaknesses in good people or we have to tear pages out of the Bible.
Robert Duvall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Get a gunsmith with a clue.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:42 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Burner wrote:
Get a gunsmith with a clue.

Burner,

That is not the problem, the issue is that those barrels are chrome lined and the reamer wont work on them.
I guess that if you are lucky in getting a barrels that clocks perfectly with the action you have "whala" you got it.
The two barrels that I got when screwed by hand into the same action, they fit completely different one from the other.
My gunsmith is a very capable smith he is a retired armorer (if the word is correct) from the military, he has put
together rifles for me that are sub moa, so it is not a matter of experience.

Oscar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

While his answer is short - Burner is right....

If you look at that UK59 barrel next to your Mosin barrel - the original "Torque Shoulder" is about 1.5" from where the Mosin Barrel's torque shoulder should be...... It's the right diameter for a Mosin Nagant rifle - so your smith probably assumed that he had to cut the existing threads off the UK59 barrel, rethread the non-threaded shank, and re-chamber....

But... there is a shiny turned down shank section that is a hair over 1" diameter and the Mosin threads run right about 0.960-ish.... If you look carefully at other people's projects - that turned down section acts as the torque shoulder.... I have no idea how a 0.025" per side "Shoulder" is able to hold the torque and recoil impulse... but it apparently does....

If it was me - I would do what Alex mentioned - make a sleeve that's about 1.120" OD and 1" ID, turn the shank section down to 1" OD - and press that sucker on with sleeve retainer locktite.... Then, use that to be the barrel's torque shoulder..... But... It's not what most people do - they just screw the barrel on and it seems to run fine.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:28 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

We tried first the Hungarian M44 action, if you have removed barrels from both a Tula
1935 Hex receiver and a Hungarian Mosin Nagant, they are different.

The Tula Hex receiver has an internal torque ring and the Hungarian MN does not.

If he screwed the barrel into the M44 action, the headspace was too loose, that is why
he had to move back the torque shoulder and make a longer thread.

Oscar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

If you look at the Mosinnagant.net or 7.62x54r.com pages - you will see that the Soviets used several different flavors of internal shoulder inside the receiver.... From what I have read - it wasn't a torque shoulder like a Mauser.... (I am not claiming to be an expert here...)

If he moved the outer barrel shoulder back a hair to make it headspace right, then the barrel hit on the inner shoulder and it still wouldn't headspace - I think I would slightly turn down the threaded end of the barrel hitting the inner torque shoulder so it would headspace right. If he turned it down too much - he will need to make a spacer.

Now - you can buy reamers to cut chrome... Carbide reamers will do the trick... but they cost ~2x what standard reamers cost... but given that you already have 2 barrels sunk cost... it may be worth it. Give PTG a call.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

truckjohn wrote:
If you look at the Mosinnagant.net or 7.62x54r.com pages - you will see that the Soviets used several different flavors of internal shoulder inside the receiver.... From what I have read - it wasn't a torque shoulder like a Mauser.... (I am not claiming to be an expert here...)

If he moved the outer barrel shoulder back a hair to make it headspace right, then the barrel hit on the inner shoulder and it still wouldn't headspace - I think I would slightly turn down the threaded end of the barrel hitting the inner torque shoulder so it would headspace right. If he turned it down too much - he will need to make a spacer.

Now - you can buy reamers to cut chrome... Carbide reamers will do the trick... but they cost ~2x what standard reamers cost... but given that you already have 2 barrels sunk cost... it may be worth it. Give PTG a call.

Thanks

The Hungarian M44 does not have that innter torque (if you want to call it) ring, it is just threads.
You have to torque the barrel with the receiver face and the barrel like small ring Mausers.

Oscar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:42 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Breaching washer on a spacer, instant headspace..
On a barrel with no sights you have nothing to time, just torque and re cut another extractor groove.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005