http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:59 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have three U.S. surplus military rifles. A Remington M-1917 (dated 1918), a Smith-Corona 1903-A3 (dated 1943(?)) and a Garand (Dated 1943). In off-hand shooting, and not very scientific testing, the M1917 seems to be the most accurate, followed by the S-C and then the Garand. Both the M-1917 and the S-C have what I would call very nice bores. The Garand just so-so.

Does this reflect a trend as to which rifles are more accurate than others? Or this is just my individual rifles?

BTW, they are all more accurate than my Mausers (one pristine, one not)or Mosin-Nagants. ( I believe there are no pristine M-N's EVER. Factory new? Yes. Pristine? No.)

I have a sporterized (Gibbs Rifle Co. Quest) Ishapore .308 Lee Enfield, which shoots better than all of the above.

Coincidence, or trend?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Luisyamaha wrote:
I believe there are no pristine M-N's EVER. Factory new? Yes. Pristine? No.

Pick up a Finn M-39 and you'll say otherwise.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/finnishmosin/index.asp

as far as the accuracy differences in your US service rifles, I would say that its mostly a coincidence. I have heard that with the right ammo the M1917 can be very accurate, though the same can be said for the 1903 and M1.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Sorry. I guess I meant to say Russian manufactured M-N's. I believe there were also some manufactured in the U.S. for the Czar that were probably also very nice. (Remington, Westinghouse?)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:19 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I have owned them all, and shoot them off of sandbags all the time. I believe they are all equally accurate...once you find out what load each rifle likes and get it bedded right. Two 03's won't usually be equally accurate, you may have to tweek the bedding on one. The Garand can be just as accurate, but it is harder to keep accurate, time-wise when compared to the bolt guns.Bedding too is usually the culpret. Awkward thing is most of the U.S. guns like a heavier bullet than the standard issued 150g ammo. If I had to pick a rifle that I thought would do the best, it would be the 03 Springfield.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:02 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I believe that off hand gives an opinion of how you shoot each rifle, not the accuracy of the rifle itself. This might be the result of how each rifle fits you. Another shooter will do differently.

If you want a sense of the rifles capabilities go to the bench. Be sure to try different ammo types. Sometimes you'll find that it takes a while to find the right combination, but when you do, all of those rifles are capable of keeping them in the black.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I guess that depends on the size of the black!

Kidding aside, I can hit an 8" black at 100 yds. standing with all my US surplus arms about 90% of the time.
Just the grouping is better with some than others.

The Ishapore .308 I was hitting a 6"popper 90% of the time. I'm sure a lot has to do with how the rifle fits me.

As I said, unscientific.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Quote:
In off-hand shooting, and not very scientific testing

That tells you how well you can shoot a given rifle off hand. Not which is the most accrate rifle.

To test for accuracy, get a good sling prone position and shoot 300 yard NRA HP targets. Anyone can slop them in at 200, at 600 its the ability of the shooter to just conditions.

300 yards test the rifle.

Some rifles are easier to shoot off hand then others. I have a Springfield Garand,. a SC 1903a3 and Eddystone 1917. All can out shoot my Mosin. However, for some reason, I can shoot my Mosin better off hand. I believe its that long barrel and wood hanging out there dampening the movement.

In a perfect world, I'd like to shoot a HP course with different rifles at different positions and stages. My Mosin Offhand at 200. Garand Setting Rapid. and my 03 at prone rapid and 600 yards slow fire. My 1917 can shoot with the best of them, but lacks the ability of windage corrections.

But its not a perfect world, silly rules require shooting the same gun across the course.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071