Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: WW I Snead Victory Lamp- Morgan Explosion

#136 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 pm

For the record :arrow: :arrow: :cry: THIS IS THE PROPER SOCKET on an Uncle Ed Lamp.
IMG_2083.jpg
IMG_2083.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 917 times
The lower photo shows two sockets (Bryant)
The first is for a Victory Lamp; the second is for an Uncle Ed Lamp. Both are ORIGINAL. Notice the hole off to the base on the original socket -Dual purpose shuttle switch.
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG (56.39 KiB) Viewed 917 times
A harsh comment "Stupid is as stupid does..." ring a bell? :violin: :violin: :(

It is a tragic shame what occurred to this poor lamp. It would have been worth something if left as is for a professional lamp restoration person to correct and restore. End of lecture. Sorry.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#137 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:48 am

I missed the helmet photos. So I added them because of some interesting points. Looks to be freshly sprayed paint. Not even an original finish. Is it a brass one? Or, is it a steel British one? Is it a reproduction ? Again no dents and wear to the helmet- its patina does not match a 100 year old lamp. Its condition does not match the condition of the shell body. It has definitely been recently repainted. The problem to restoration. The white interior would be next to impossible to remove back to the old, white, lead enamel. Will the new white paint come off to expose the old lead finish? Or would both be destroyed in a removal/restoration attempt to expose the original lead paint intact? Maybe even the lamp bulb clip was painted silver or is a new replacement part. :doh: :doh:
The freshly painted green can be removed from the brass. But I believe the helmet is still damaged beyond restoration. If this was truly an original brass Uncle Ed helmet, to do such changes to it is beyond nuts. One might as well polish or chrome the shell to complete the lunacy.
added 3 Dec. 2019 See lower post. This example actually sold at a crazy price $245 :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :scared-eek:
s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I do not see chin strap anchors, but it is close to a British
???? Or is this an original Brass Uncle Ed helmet painted over??? If it is painted over brass; then it was an original, light weight, clip on, Uncle Ed helmet. I wonder. No folded edge. see last photo. No copper color to light bulb holder clamp like seen on an original. Remember, I have observed only two examples, so I am still unsure of the actual attributes found on an intact example.
Below is a reproduction Brodie helmet
s-l1600-2.jpg

The Uncle Ed helmet is brass, not steel. The helmet's Lip is on the top, upper side of the edge- which is correct to the IMA lamp. This could be a posssible brass, Uncle Ed helmet that was repainted and really screwed up---this would really be a bad thing for a restoration. Just makes me sick!
The original, aged, patina and finish is gone. Maybe, it is some reproduction garbage???? Who knows??? Just too many questions, and this lamp has undergone some serious modifications to the point it is no longer considered an intact antique. I guess this a great example of what not to do to one of the 1,769 Uncle Eds lamps produced.
Below is a view of the IMA original Uncle Ed helmet in its intact finish.
Attachments
ON7080__05.jpg
ON7080__05.jpg (46.45 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#138 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:56 pm

So the dust has settled on poorly restored Victory lamps. Time to switch subjects.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 1.27.36 PM.png
Here is a very interesting new version of a" Victory" ashtray. While in poor condition, it sold fast. I made an offer and in the time that elapsed to get a reply, a lucky buyer paid the full BUY IT NOW price. I think that was $69 or $79 plus $15 shipping. I was cheep and did not think many would be after it because it was so beat; hence, I lost out. This is the first one I have seen marked 'PEACE". I have observed two other ones marked like the Victory lamp that also had the crazy decoration on the top edge. Most do not. Note, this has the brass base on the shell bottom. I am not sure if it's home made, or a factory version. The letter fonts seem to match for upper case letters. But stampings on the word "PEACE" and "75 MM" seem weak and lightly applied. There also appears to be a line under the date stamp. This I have never observed on these ashtrays. Is the date underlined? :think: The 7 & the 5 are very different from number fonts found on the lamps. I am not sure if the upper edge treatment is a factory production. Most Victory ashtrays have a smooth, milled edge.
Most have well stamped, deep lettering on the ashtray. This Peace example is in doubt. :shhh: :think: :think: :think:

This Victory ash tray reads:
"
PEACE
Nov. 11 1918
75 MM

Ebay pictures:
s-l1600-9.jpg
s-l1600-10.jpg
s-l1600-11.jpg
This is a recently sold eBay factory produced, "Victory" ashtray with what is considered a normal upper edge.
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 1.11.22 PM.png

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#139 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Stumbled on this post, very interesting, and I am way back on the first page.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#140 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:39 am

In the book, The Road to the Armistice, by Richard J Connors, 2018 a foot note indicates some speculation on his part that lamps were made by the possible use of left over WW I shells rather than ones just from the explosion. Odd. I wonder the basis of this speculation.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 6.35.39 AM.png
The original tag indicates different:
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 5.23.09 PM.png

Booth designed the parchment shade for the Morgan Lamp. No recent photos of an actual surviving specimen are known to exist. I have never seen a lamp with an intact shade.
There were two types of lamp shades offered. The first lamp shade type featured a metal doughboy helmet. The second one had an open top and was composed of Strathmore Vellum Parchment. The art work on the open top lamp shade was designed by Franklin Booth, a noted period artist best known for his stylized ink line drawings. It was open on the top to allow for the venting of the burned oil or burned gas.

Franklin designed the lamp shade to have a different mood depending on whether the lamp was lit or unlit. Without light, the shade portrayed a war scene. With light, the lamp transformed to a scene of peace. This was done by having artwork both on the outside of the lamp shade as well as the inside.
source:http://www.canadianflight.org/content/7 ... lery-shell

An interesting fact from an Auction Company. Here is the quote:

"Franklin Booth is best known for his illustrations, which appeared in major American publications of the period. His characteristic style of drawing that emulated the fine lines of a wood cut print is evident in the delineated profile of the present design. Booth's one other foray into lighting design was a 1920 patent for a lampshade design commemorating World War I, and to be used on the "Victory" lamps produced by Snead and Company of Morgan, New Jersey. That shade cleverly presented two scenes: when unlit a war scene illustration was visible on the exterior, when illuminated a peacetime scene would shine through from the interior. Less than a decade later, Booth's second lamp design (presented here) once again reflected contemporary American preoccupations in its adoption of a skyscraper form. This design is recorded under the United States patent number D78189 S, published April 9, 1929."
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 6.47.49 AM.png
source:https://www.phillips.com/detail/frankli ... 050214/232
The Phillips Auction Company. "Phillips is a premier destination for buyers and sellers of modern, post-war, contemporary, American and Latin American works of art in addition to watches, jewels, design, photographs, works on paper and editions. In 2020, the company’s New York branch will move its headquarters to 432 Park Avenue."
https://www.phillips.com/detail/frankli ... 050214/232

So , I wonder what the value of an intact, Booth shade would be :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ??????????
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 6.53.31 AM.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#141 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:57 am

Franklin Booth's shade for the Victory Lamp show on the flyer.
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.55.35 AM.png
Lamp-on-Desk.jpg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#142 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:01 pm

The mongrel dog sold to someone with lots of cash ($280) and maybe had a spare lamp for parts :shhh: :think: :think: :think: :think:
Someone really wanted an Uncle Ed real, real, bad :doh: Wonder if it will be restored :?:
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 5.57.30 PM.png

Return to “General Off Topic”