Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

1884 cadet trapdoor

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

1884 cadet trapdoor

#1 Post by ghostdevilguy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Traded for this today, it was made in 1893, and has a barrel length of 29.5. the front sight is broken, I have a replacement on the way. However it is also missing the spring and behind the latch that pushes it forward, I have one on the way from gunpartsco. The bore is in great shape, but the chamber is rusted. It's in great mechanical shape, and has a minor crack on the side of the stock. The cartouche and other markings on the stock are long gone, but it does not look like it was refinished. Serial number is in the 567xxx range, how did I do? My buddy got a great deal on it, and then traded it to me, I have about $400 into it. I shot it earlier with two black powder handloads, and the ejection was very stiff. This is when I discovered the chamber was gunked up, I was able to clean some of it out, but there is still a decent amount in there, what's the best way to get the rust out so I can shoot it more. I am thinking that I should be able to stuff a cloth patch in through the breach and pour kroil down the barrel and let it sit overnight.
Attachments
IMAG0526.jpg

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

Re: 1884 cadet trapdoor

#2 Post by ghostdevilguy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:02 pm

more pictures
Attachments
IMAG0530.jpg
IMAG0529.jpg
IMAG0528.jpg
IMAG0527.jpg

retread12345678
United States of America

#3 Post by retread12345678 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Very nice looking gun. Chambers can be cleaned up. These guns can be very accurate with the proper load. One of the most interesting US Martial arms.

silverfox
Isle of Man

#4 Post by silverfox » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:10 am

Wow. Very nice trade.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#5 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:45 pm

I think Kroil is a great start to removing the rust. My ejector spring on my trapdoor is also weak and I plan to replace it as well. Fine grit steel wool might also help in combination with Kroil. Other than Kroil and rubbing out the rust, I'm as lost as you are.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, nobody at the range pays any attention to an AR-15 when a trapdoor is firing.

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#6 Post by ghostdevilguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 am

A couple of updates. The bronze firing pin is slight bent and the tip is a little misshapen, and doesn't want to come out. I have an original steel one on the way to replace it because I am going to have to pretty much destroy the one it to get it out. the screw that holds the firing pin in is not there, so I have one of those one the way as well, the bend in the firing pin is what is holding it in place. As for the chamber, I talked to a good gunsmith friend of mine, and what I am going to do is soak the chamber overnight with kroil, then use a .50 cal brass brush to clean as much out of the chamber as I can, then take the same brush, and wrap a cloth patch around it with 600 grit lapping compound on it, then I am going to rotate the brush in the chamber, checking it every 10 or so rotations. Once it's clean, I am then going to repeat the process with some red jewelers rouge, this should clean the chamber up with minimal change to the chamber dimensions.

Mountain Lion
United States of America

#7 Post by Mountain Lion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm

I love those old Springfield’s. Welcome to the club. All I can add is to never shoot copper jacket bullets. Lead only. You will do a number on the rifling with FMJ. Take a look at the extractor. I have an 1873 rifle that the indention on the extractor was off center. Had to have come from the factory that way. Long story short after I had replaced the extractor pin and spring did I notice the offset indention. Bought a replacement extractor (the piece that looks like a number 9 when you view it sideways) and it had flipped shells out with authority ever since. Welcome to the 1873 club

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#8 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Yeah, no copper in the rifle. I've heard that myself. I shoot pure lead or a slight tin mix, nothing remotely hard.

Best Regards,

Mark

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#9 Post by ghostdevilguy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 pm

I was able to get the chamber cleaned up using the method I described above. I did not get all of the rust out of it, and I did not polish the chamber to a mirror finish, but I smoothed what was in there down, and took care of the active rust. It's now extracting better, but only time and shooting it more will tell. I fit a new front sight blade, bought a latch spring, replaced the firing pin, and bought a firing pin screw. I plan to shoot it again here in the next few days to see how it functions and groups at 50 yards, I will report back. I have a good amount of cast lead bullets, in the 390gr range, that I got from a friend, the rifle will shoot a little high, but it should give me an idea of how it shoots. I have a few rounds of the remingtion 45-70 jacketed ammo, labeled for use in any rifle, I will pull the jacketed bullets and reload the cases with some blackpowder and lead bullets, thanks for the heads up. This rifle has a nice bore, there appears to be some minor damage, looks like some circle scratches in the bore, some deep, some not, 6 or so inches from the muzzle, but other than that the bore is nice and clean, with any luck it will be a good shooter.

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#10 Post by ghostdevilguy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Whoops, double post.
Last edited by ghostdevilguy on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#11 Post by ghostdevilguy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:38 pm

I ran 10 rounds through it this afternoon, 5 rounds of real black powder, and 5 rounds of pyrodex. It extracted all 10 cases with ease, however the group left a lot to be desired, it was more of a shotgun pattern than a group, and was shooting high, I knew it was going to shoot high due to the weight of the bullets. The group size (probably around 12") was probably a combination of undersized, inconsistent powder charge (I filled the cases up to about 1/8 of an inch of the mouth and then used the bullet to compress the powder, I only do this with black powder, and next time I will measure the powder charge to make it more consistent), and me learning where to hold the sights and how to use them.

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Rifles”