Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Mauser Gewehr 98 rifles

Gew88, Gew98, Kar98 etc.
Roy mcleod
United States of America

Mauser Gewehr 98 rifles

#1 Post by Roy mcleod » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:50 pm

In my collection, i have two Gew 98 rifles, type with tangent rear sights.
I, know little about these rifles.I am told they are parade/guard unit rifles.
They are chrome plated,with painted stocks and white slings.
Stocks are in poor gen cond and painted white. Bores and gen cond of rifles
is fair and I have managed to shoot them, with no problems
F
Rifle photos and info from the top down
First rifle Waffenfabrik
Mauser A-C
Oberndorf A/N
Second rifle Deutschewaffen -und
munitoinsfabriken
Berlin
One has to admit, there is some history in the markings. note mfg companies
and where were the Mauser brothers born in Germany?
On exam of rifles,would it be wise to leave them in original cond.
or attempt to strip chrome, to restore them or strip them for parts/
What would Market value be on these these rifles?
335.JPG
340.JPG
342.JPG
343.JPG
338.JPG

vandle
Australia

Re: Mauser Gewehr 98 rifles

#2 Post by vandle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 pm

If it was me personally and research shows that they are the real deal and are parade rifles, I would leave them as they are.\
They are not common and the history of them would be invaluable

Cheers
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

lloydiam
United States of America

#3 Post by lloydiam » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:28 pm

I would take em down and lightly sand em and repaint em. Them's some good looking rifles !..............

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#4 Post by CAVSGT78 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Kind of stinks the painted the stocks. I’d have liked to see the original finish. Cool post though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 12:01 am

I do not know the sling and can not find any white painted chrome Gew 98s. I got to check the GEW 98 book at the library. Do the parts on the rifles match? It must have cost a wee bit to convert those to parade rifles. I wonder if those might be Legion trophy rifles utilized/converted for legion parade use in the 1920-30s?? see this link
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1669

Are the stocks whole or duffle cut? Any evidence of metal rod removal from the barrel. Numbers should match except the bolt. Any idea of the sling type in white? Is it American? I have never seen that type of sling. Any evidence of painted over stock cartouches. I would leave as is. Most would pay $350 in a heart beat as is. If you can document them - they may go for more than a common Turked miss matched Gew 98.

from above link:
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 11.02.35 PM.png

Do you remember the source of those rifles any history? Any cadet, military, rotc academy schools in your area. High school honor guards and drill teams in the 1960s used white drill rifles. Just not so fancy or expensive. see
http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/ju ... rifle.html

Our 1960s High school used these:
Replica_1903_Springfield_M-30_White_Color_Honor_Guard_ROTC_Parade_Rifles_Parts_ORings.jpg
Replica_1903_Springfield_M-30_White_Color_Honor_Guard_ROTC_Parade_Rifles_Parts_ORings.jpg (22.65 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Drill rifles are generally inoperative. My Mannlicher drill rifle was painted black but had the firing pin hole welded. see this example it is very similar to mine. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... category=0
Now VFW rifles used to shoot at burials or on veterans day in the park, sort of a 1950-60 thing, pre Viet nam thing, shot blanks and were operational rifles---- some white some not. A team of 7 shot at the war monument statue of a WW I rifle with helmet in the 1950s at the Meno. Falls , Wi Park. After they fired a few times, 5 I think. Us kids would scramble to pick up a real shell case around the vet's feet. We were like rats scrambling for goodies. It was a big thing to get a cartridge to keep as a little kid. A true souvenir. I still have my first. But they used 03s with 30-06 blank brass. As a kid we did not know they were blanks-- it was cool to see real soldiers shoot rifles. Then there was an entire day of activities, -rides, food, play ground equipment, & games-- then marble tournaments. And of course, showing off how many cartridges you got. The good old days. Sometimes the real soldiers from the Nike missile site/camp in Lannon WI would do the shooting. We like that because there was at least 10 that showed up , a hell of a lot of noise and cartridges to grab for. :roll:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

CAVSGT78
United States of America

#6 Post by CAVSGT78 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:13 am

72 usmc wrote:I do not know the sling and can not find any white painted chrome Gew 98s. I got to check the GEW 98 book at the library. Do the parts on the rifles match? It must have cost a wee bit to convert those to parade rifles. I wonder if those might be Legion trophy rifles utilized/converted for legion parade use in the 1920-30s?? see this link

Are the stocks whole or duffle cut? Any evidence of metal rod removal from the barrel. Numbers should match except the bolt. Any idea of the sling type in white? Is it American? I have never seen that type of sling. Any evidence of painted over stock cartouches. I would leave as is. Most would pay $350 in a heart beat as is. If you can document them - they may go for more than a common Turked miss matched Gew 98.

from above link:
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 11.02.35 PM.png

Do you remember the source of those rifles any history? Any cadet, military, rotc academy schools in your area. High school honor guards and drill teams in the 1960s used white drill rifles. Just not so fancy or expensive. see
http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/ju ... rifle.html

Our 1960s High school used these:
Replica_1903_Springfield_M-30_White_Color_Honor_Guard_ROTC_Parade_Rifles_Parts_ORings.jpg
Drill rifles are generally inoperative. My Mannlicher drill rifle was painted black but had the firing pin hole welded. see this example it is very similar to mine. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... category=0
Now VFW rifles used to shoot at burials or on veterans day in the park, sort of a 1950-60 thing, pre Viet nam thing, shot blanks and were operational rifles---- some white some not. A team of 7 shot at the war monument statue of a WW I rifle with helmet in the 1950s at the Meno. Falls , Wi Park. After they fired a few times, 5 I think. Us kids would scramble to pick up a real shell case around the vet's feet. We were like rats scrambling for goodies. It was a big thing to get a cartridge to keep as a little kid. A true souvenir. I still have my first. But they used 03s with 30-06 blank brass. As a kid we did not know they were blanks-- it was cool to see real soldiers shoot rifles. Then there was an entire day of activities, -rides, food, play ground equipment, & games-- then marble tournaments. And of course, showing off how many cartridges you got. The good old days. Sometimes the real soldiers from the Nike missile site/camp in Lannon WI would do the shooting. We like that because there was at least 10 that showed up , a hell of a lot of noise and cartridges to grab for. :roll:
WOW that’s a lot of good info. I figured someone painted over the original finish. How cool is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 1:02 pm

As for value I would think even though its a white parade rifle I would think its about the same as other drill rifles see links say $200-300.
Not too many collect parade rifles; more collect drill rifles. The problem no one is going to pay shipping and FFL transfer say an additional 75-100 bucks on a drill rifle unless they get it cheep so maybe 200. You would have to sell it local at a gun show to that special odd ball like me that would play $300 out the door. More if it has documented info on its school of VFW prov. And chrome parts are not in high demand- so its not a great parts source.
As a wall hanger $150. As a buyer at a show, I would wait till the last day of the show and low ball trying to get it at $200 when it is most likely worth 300 + or -. :snooty: :think: :shifty: You just got to find that right person. STRIP & redo you end up with junk. My 2 cents worth of info. Some ex drill team chick or rotc kid might pay $500 to have as a memory??? Who knows. Start high, you can always go to 3-4 shows and sell low if no takers.

I would think if they are former WW I VFW trophy rifles-- almost all matching , no duff cut, mismatched bolt, and they have intact roller coaster sights they are VFW WW I converted rifles and worth $350 each. Are there lines gouges in the barrel where rods were drive in and damaged the rifling? That is more evidence of rod removal and they are former WW I VFW rifles. They should match and no duffle cut. WHAT IS THE CASE?

Enfield examples
http://www.armslist.com/posts/385990/sc ... 03-british
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=82

1903s
https://www.dupagetrading.com/product/1 ... ll-rifles/
http://www.odcmp.org/202/drill_inc.asp
http://smith-wessonforum.com/firearms-k ... rifle.html

Store that sell parade rifles
http://www.westernband.com/Pages/ROTC.h ... _BwE#Mark1

M1 drill rifle barrel is welded to the receiver making this most likely a gun use for drilling or firing blanks.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768653577

Mauser drill rifle
Yugo 8MM Mauser Rifle 24/52C C&R DRILL RIFLE 98. Rifle has had the firing pin ground off and hole drilled the in top of the barreL to turn into a drill rifle. Would be good hanging on wall

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768329014
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by Rapidrob » Tue May 01, 2018 2:08 pm

In 1972 I was stationed in Charleston, SC and a local K-Mart had Commission Rifles for 25 dollars and WWI Mauser rifles for 35 bucks. The condition you mention is the same as what they well selling. The Mauser 98 rifles were not "Turked".
I bet the rifles were used by a VFW or other honor guard as mentioned and converted to Drill.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#9 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Roy can you please take a closer look and provide more details on the stock whole or cut, bore marks that might indicate removed rods, and the nature of matching parts on the rifles. Do the bores appear heavily pitted like a Legion or VFW post rifle that was shot and not cleaned. Those bolts do not appear to have much wear from shooting. I wonder if they were just non fired parade rifles. Maybe not fired at vets day ceremonies or burial salutes. Are there any maker's marks on those odd slings- they do not appear military. Those slings look like something found on a toy pellet gun. Odd , since they made real leather and canvas white military slings. Does the white paint appear to be an aged, oil based enamel, sprayed on paint- not brushed? We await Roy's comments...
Roy please look at that Gun Collector info on VFW rifles. A long out of print issue.

At gun shows these all matching, intact stock, rod filled barrel and cut firing pin VFW rifles go at $400. It took 3 shows but someone finally purchase it for full price at a Fond du Lac WI show 2 years ago. The seller would not go down to $300. I think the buyer wanted the original Gew 98 sling that was still on the rifle.

Roy mcleod
United States of America

#10 Post by Roy mcleod » Wed May 02, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments,guncollector info and all the topic views!!
I, have exam both rifles again. Stocks, are not duffel cut and are original walnut.
I, described, stocks as poor cond, because, paint is very thick and covers markings
rear but stock disc area, has been plugged up. paint has many chipped areas.
I, would describe stock cond with paint removed as fair. the white paint is oil/lead
enamel type and is sprayed on extra thick!!
Numbers on both rifles do not match, the bolts and all other parts,
The bore on rifle 1917, is fair no pitting. bore on 1905 ,is bright.Rifles do not
show any signs of rifle rods!! As I, have exp I, have shot both rifles.
Slings show no markings, look like cloth material dyed white, sling swivels
are original.
Both rifles, were purchased many many years ago , at a Surplus tent sale.
cost $ 50.00 ea.
I, plan to leave rifles as is, in their original cond, with no attempt to restore!!
Thanks again everyone
Roy

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#11 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 02, 2018 8:20 pm

Thank you for the details, odd they are mix masters. VFW rifles almost always matched except the bolt. I wonder if Bannerman made parade rifles and sold them? I will look in my Bannerman1927 catalog.
I, plan to leave rifles as is, in their original cond, with no attempt to restore!!
Yes, I would keep as original as possible for top buck or for trade or donation to a local historical society.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#12 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:22 am

I had picked up an Enfield that has been chromed, Got her a Dress White sling and it looks better.. But the thing that got me was some one drilled a hole bolt and placed a screw so that the Bolt head would not roll down enough to allow the bolt to be removed. But removing the screw fixed that.. But I do like those Mausers..I do think they were look nice in dark wood stocks..
Attachments
DSCF5073.JPG

indy1919a4
United States of America

#13 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:26 am

Tried to attached 2 photos, looked liked it worked when I previewed, but did not after I submitted
Attachments
DSCF5075.JPG

M67
Slovenia

#14 Post by M67 » Thu May 03, 2018 11:13 am

It would be very difficult to turn back in to original condition because of chrome metal. If they are blued then you could try return one in 1915 or 1917 condition. No problem with painted stocks but it is waste of time and money. Leave them as they are. They have some history in their battle and ceremonial role. It is just my personal opinion.
They are very interesting!
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

indy1919a4
United States of America

#15 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Does anyone have an idea of what the costs would be to remove the Chrome?? Just for Info sake.

Return to “German Rifles”