Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Winchester Garand...UPDATE POST#9

echo1
United States of America

Winchester Garand...UPDATE POST#9

#1 Post by echo1 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi Folks,

I've been trying not to go down the M1 rabbit hole, because I missed the window of cheapness long ago. I really know very little about the platform, other than I should have at least one specimen. I've come up on an all matching unit (Winny stamped parts), in excellent condition, $1400. It would be the $pendiest wall hanger I've acquired, so I'll ultimately need a shooter too 8-) . My cursory research says that the price is not-so-bad, even if it's a bunch of ducats to me. What say ye Garand gurus? PAX
Last edited by echo1 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sowbelle
United States of America

Re: Winchester Garand

#2 Post by sowbelle » Tue May 08, 2018 5:35 pm

How do you know it is "all matching"?
Why do u say it will be a wall hanger?
Why would you not shoot it?

Smokey
United States of America

#3 Post by Smokey » Tue May 08, 2018 5:53 pm

All matching or "correct" means have a gunsmith go over it before you consider shooting it. Please refer to my "something to think about" post.
It could possibly be safe, or made safe; but regard it as a KABOOM otherwise.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

dogboysdad
United States of America

#4 Post by dogboysdad » Tue May 08, 2018 10:32 pm

$1400 for an all “correct” Winchester is a bargain. You could part it out and easily double your money. I’ll buy it if you don’t.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#5 Post by Ghoulardi » Wed May 09, 2018 12:08 am

anytime I read someone bought a "all correct" M1, and it didn't come from the CMP, which insures that the parts are serviceable and is headspaced correctly and gives out a certificate with the serial number on the certificate saying it's a "all correct M1". I shudder, as I see some hilljack in a trailer park bought some "correct" parts without any regard if the parts are even serviceable, just as long as parts are "correct" and hacks it together, without any regards to head spacing.

anyways, if you want a M1, there is no better place to get one then the CMP, a service grade will run you 750 bucks. CMP refurbishes all the M1s that come to them from the Army to insure the parts will be serviceable and it's headspaced

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

echo1
United States of America

#6 Post by echo1 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks All,

Great feed back, for the second time. In the last couple years, I've nosed around Garands and asked for some pointers before. The response is always constructive.
I've known the owner for a decade, an 01 for 40 years, and is the only reason I'm even considering spending that much bank (to me) on what should be a good example. He's my go to FFL guy and he completely has my trust. He helped me get the SKS in my blood. Some Chinese, couple Rommys, led to HIS personal SVT40. The SVT and Garand are some that were cherry picked by him back in the day, for his own stash. I happened to ask him if he had any Garands. He said he only had 1, that it was NRA Collector Grade, and shouldn't be shot...and it was a Winchester. He's likely to have a bunch clips and spare stuff that'll come with. I've been afraid to even look at it, because I'm pretty sure they'll be no turning back once I gaze upon it's charm. It has it's own case and he's had it a long time.
So, automatically I'm going to have to have two M1s, but I know I can stop there :lol: ...right...PAX

ffuries
United States of America

#7 Post by ffuries » Wed May 09, 2018 6:47 am

Just like a kid can stop at two OREOS.........You'll be screwed, as you'll need one from the different manufactures, WWII, Korean era, shooters and non-shooters, etc and of course we'll all help by encouraging you along the way feeding your addiction.

Look forward to pictures of this one if you take the plunge, and future ones you'll get!

:dance:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by RWS » Wed May 09, 2018 8:56 am

It obviously makes a difference if you have a history and trust with the seller, but you are correct that you will have to have another M1 that you can actually shoot.

Ghoulardi is also correct that the CMP is hands-down the best place to buy a M1 Garand if you don't have a line on a sweetheart deal, and you can get a CMP Service Grade specimen from them for $750, but their current inventory is pretty low. The only Service Grade rifles currently available are Springfield Armory and H&R rifles for $750 with free shipping and a 2 to 4 month wait due to order volume. And... it's the luck of the draw as they say. You won't have a choice as to manufacturer, but either make is a quality USGI rifle.

IMHO, you won't want anything less than Service Grade for shooting, and the lesser Field Grade specimens are only $100 less. Point is, if you decide to buy the Winchester as a collectible (knowing that you won't shoot it) and want a companion M1 to take to the range, then you should start the order with CMP post-haste. Of course, now you're talking about a $2,150 cash outlay that may or may not be problematic for you. You'll win in the long term but suffer financially in the short term.

-Bob

echo1
United States of America

Re: Winchester Garand...UPDATE POST#9

#9 Post by echo1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Hi Fellas,

Finally took the plunge after getting feed back from several boards.

Upon examining the specimen, using my acquired research data, this is what I found during the cursory once over:
  • DMC/CMP rifle purchased in April '96 and owned by him since
  • Owner sponsored by Tour Of Duty out of Visalia, CA
  • All paper work, manuals, letters from sponsor & CMP
  • Winchester receiver serial 131XXXX March '43
  • WRA # bolt
  • Winchester barrel
  • Accessories in butt
Also came with bayo/scabbard, GI web pouch/harness, bandoleer, and ammo can, all with filled with full strippers (over 400 rds). The shipping box and sling hadn't been dug out yet. It's in my hot little hands now :D Thanks for the assistance guys. PAX

ffuries
United States of America

#10 Post by ffuries » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Wow sounds like you did well, look forward to the pictures. Congrats! Depending on where the ammo came from, you're looking at about $300.00 just there.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Aladinbama
United States of America

#11 Post by Aladinbama » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:38 pm

The longer you wait the higher the price will eventually be. The price of these will never go down. CMP is about the cheapest way you can go. The gun show vendors around here seem to be pretty proud of their rifles :)

echo1
United States of America

#12 Post by echo1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:56 am

Well fellas, here's the refresher of my original post, in which I could have misheard what was said or presumed what was meant:
Wrapping up my barter Kali paper chase, of 2 Mongrel SKS and 2 Big 5 91/30's, for my FFL bud's cherry picked SVT40 20 years ago. While chatting I happened to asked if he had any Garands. He said only one, it's a collector and shouldn't be shot. It's a Winchester. OOOOKKKAAYY...I have know idea what that has to do with anything, but I presume HE knows what he has, myself not knowing squat about the parts/numbering/date/manufacture entity, correctness and changes by WRA13(?)stuff, you know, the specifics. He started his sponsorship in November of '95, which I think was around when the DMC went to the CMP, and there was a typical GOVMNT scuffled, with the transference to a corporation. In April '96 met the qualifications, and he requested a Winchester. He was a sponsered combat vet. So, back then did/would/could the CMP build to order? In the paper work was the 2005 CMP catalog which lists: rack, field, service, correct, and collector grades. Winchester is not a collector arsenal option in that catalog. Were they all scooped up by then? More importantly, I would have take my time, tearing down, field stripping, to spend a day, learn it. My local guy can break in down, and verify what I anticipate to be correct, in front of my very eyes. My Bud said when he got it and cleaned up, he shot a bandoleer out of it, it shot great (he could see then), then he put it up, to save for ME. The furniture is not correct from what I could see, so no harm, no foul to turn the Khyber Pass Fab Team loose on the wood, to dial it in, Match Accuracy. If it's in spec, it might as well shoot good. I'm in now, and happy as a meadow lark, the spousal unit...not so much. PAX

ffuries
United States of America

#13 Post by ffuries » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

echo1 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:56 am
Well fellas, here's the refresher of my original post, in which I could have misheard what was said or presumed what was meant:
Wrapping up my barter Kali paper chase, of 2 Mongrel SKS and 2 Big 5 91/30's, for my FFL bud's cherry picked SVT40 20 years ago. While chatting I happened to asked if he had any Garands. He said only one, it's a collector and shouldn't be shot. It's a Winchester. OOOOKKKAAYY...I have know idea what that has to do with anything, but I presume HE knows what he has, myself not knowing squat about the parts/numbering/date/manufacture entity, correctness and changes by WRA13(?)stuff, you know, the specifics. He started his sponsorship in November of '95, which I think was around when the DMC went to the CMP, and there was a typical GOVMNT scuffled, with the transference to a corporation. In April '96 met the qualifications, and he requested a Winchester. He was a sponsered combat vet. So, back then did/would/could the CMP build to order? In the paper work was the 2005 CMP catalog which lists: rack, field, service, correct, and collector grades. Winchester is not a collector arsenal option in that catalog. Were they all scooped up by then? More importantly, I would have take my time, tearing down, field stripping, to spend a day, learn it. My local guy can break in down, and verify what I anticipate to be correct, in front of my very eyes. My Bud said when he got it and cleaned up, he shot a bandoleer out of it, it shot great (he could see then), then he put it up, to save for ME. The furniture is not correct from what I could see, so no harm, no foul to turn the Khyber Pass Fab Team loose on the wood, to dial it in, Match Accuracy. If it's in spec, it might as well shoot good. I'm in now, and happy as a meadow lark, the spousal unit...not so much. PAX
If you wish to dissect your Garand and determine the vintage and manufacturer of your parts etc. This is the best site I've found for that purpose. There are more, but I cant remember them. They have a data sheet you can list your drawing and revision numbers on, plus there is a page that shows what SN range certain parts are found on.

http://usriflecal30m1.com

Here's another one similar to the above site, this also shows you how to break it down etc.

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/spreadsheet/

Breakdown and inspection guide.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-inspection
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

echo1
United States of America

#14 Post by echo1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks for the links, ffuries.

Eventually I'll learn it's mechanicals, and what/where to look, but right now I'm in midstream of too many projects.

I just didn't wan to let this in get away. PAX

Return to “M1 Garand”