Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

IN PASSING

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

IN PASSING

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu May 17, 2018 12:38 pm

We see all of the publicity of the England royal wedding and the world doesn’t know how close it came to there being ‘No Queen Elizabeth’. When I first got to Torbay AB, Newfoundland in 1953 I heard the story of the 1951 visit by Princess Elizabeth where their pilot of the Comet aircraft landed short of the runway by about 50 feet. Had the landing been just 50 feet short of that, the plane would have probable exploded. The case being that the first 50 feet short of the runway was gravel and another 50 feet before that the runway dropped off maybe three feet. Had the pilot hit below this 3 foot drop-off it would have driven the landing gear up through the wing and big planes usually explode when this happens. The gravel flew up and punched holes in the flaps and the guys in my Squadron (before I got there) patched the holes in the flaps which were cloth covered. At the time it was common for flaps to be cloth covered. I think even the 707’s had cloth covered flaps. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=70 ... &FORM=IGRE ...And others.

And...http://www.mybearhawk.com/wings/covering.html

My barracks was just 50 yards from that end of the runway, and a good pilot would have been at least 25 feet over that. I don’t know but I will assume that the pilot would have been out of a job after that landing. My very first flying instructor showed us how to make precise landings by laying a six inch wide lime strip across the runway and had us hit that with the main landing gear on landing – it can be done. At the time he said that he had 44,000 hours with most as an instructor doing WW2. That was and is, a high-time pilot.

And today the FAA lets pilots fly and with passenger after just 20 hours minimum (Recreational and Sports license) – just because of political and lobbyist's pressure. Most don’t understand that insurance companies want more costly accidents, not the other way around. If there were no accidents, they would sell no insurance. The more accidents, the more money is churned, the more money churned, the more money earned. That is why the insurance companies want the higher medical costs. They are limited in general to a maximum ‘percentage’ profit, and the higher the costs, the more profit they make – simple economics. And they pay big bucks to lobbyists to (pay) the politicians, in some way, to keep it that way. Many of you may have become victims of this, I know I have – each time that I have to have a wind shield replaced, It is because of the thinner glass that it allowed to be used by the vehicle manufactures so they will have to be replaced more often. Pittsburgh glass, says, you betcha, we can make them thinner. Fact is right now both of our vehicles have cracked windshields. When I was kid and lived on a gravel road, cracked windshields were not very common, just because they were a 1/16 of an inch thicker. I remember my first automobile liability insurance was 21 $ a year..now it is over a 1000 a year – I know some can be more. As the Frenchman said, “Every country gets the government they deserve.”

Here in Colorado light planes are crashing oh so often, just because of pilot error – as planned...and the FAA, as planned. Just this past weekend, a Cirrus crashed - all killed...just because of senseless pilot error.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: IN PASSING

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Doomsday – I don’t want to look like the little bearded guy carrying a sign....but have you seen on TV of all the meteorite action of late and PENDING close encounters – Asteroids are serious business.
And the Black Hole that is gobbling up astro material a thousand time the size of our sun every two days.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=meteor%20 ... 765184C04D
The reason that the powers-to-be have nothing more to say is simple, oh well, we can’t do anything about it anyway. Those 150 to 300 foot ones would just knock your teeth out no matter where on earth one would be.
And...https://www.cnet.com/news/asteroid-2018 ... -15-years/ I don’t believe this is ‘Fake News’.
FUN AND TRIVIA.....MAYBE...???

We were walking around the volcanic action on the big Island in Hawaii in about 92 and suddenly realized that the molten hot stuff was just about a foot or so below us – that did get my attention. Later I stuck a stick in some. And to watch that stuff roll into the ocean as it had been doing since 1983 – that was something.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

timbo1955
Russia

Re: IN PASSING

#3 Post by timbo1955 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm

every country quote is so true

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”