Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

7.35 AMMO

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

7.35 AMMO

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri May 25, 2018 6:32 pm

I have never had any trouble reloading for the 7.35 Carcano. I have always had the Hornaday 128 grain bullets and the original 128 grain bullets. I had bought a LEE 7.35 die set. I had plenty of the original ammo which I bought. The primers went bad, but the powder, bullet and brass were good. And I bought some Norma brass. I converted some of the original brass to take the Boxer Primers. Just a while back I converted a Lee .285 Mold to .300 – by lapping it out. I made a cookie cutter for the pan lubed cast bullets. I realize that some people had a hard time reloading for this over the years but I didn’t. I still have maybe 700 original ammo in the original boxes, but they all have dead primers.. The mold that I made for the cast bullets came out casting 150 grain bullets. The two cavity mold I made is for one with lube grooves and the other for resin coating or I made a littler copper plating thing for the other without the lube grooves....actually I lapped the bore to about 800 so I don’t even have to use lube...no I never had any trouble.
DSC_0054.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ammolab
United States of America

Re: 7.35 AMMO

#2 Post by ammolab » Tue May 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Looks like you are all set for that cartridge.

I just shot the last of my 7.35 GI ammo. All shot fine. I do well now with Privi brass and the Hornady bullet over NORMA 202 or
IMR 4064. Next time our NM MilSurp club has a 300 yard shoot the Carcano goes to the line. I find at 500 yards the sights and short sight radius are hard to over come.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed May 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi – I always thought those 7.35 Carcano’s were unique...I just thought Mr. Carcano did a heck of job when he designed them back when, for the job at hand. Especially with the ammo...it was so consistent...well I guess that was because they had some good ammo makers.

I bought a couple of them in 1956 and a box of 1728 ammo dated 1939. When you say GI ammo, are talking about these. In 1966 I had about 700 left and put them in storage. I retrieved them from storage in 1995 and the primers had gone bad from the hot storage in Phoenix, Arizona. I just thought that they were a sweet little thing for 14.95. And now I am just getting around to reloading for them. And to be honest, I haven’t yet gotten around to repeating the accuracy. I could shoot 2 and 2 1/2 inch 100 yard groups with the original ammo as is...well they are still as-is, except for the lapped bores. I have used the Clover 800 grit so I guess that may mean 600 or 700 grit, I don’t know.

Yes, I see where most don’t appreciate them.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu May 31, 2018 3:45 pm

In case one is afraid to try this – I find it no problem. I don’t do it quite this way but one can get the idea. I like where the guy thinks that engine valves are made of aluminum. So this may be kept in mind when trying to follow this video. I didn’t use the aluminum tape... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfcbDCYQPw
This is how I used the LEE .285 Mold to make my .301 bullets for the 7.35 Carcano. But the idea is so useful that most any size of bullet mold can be made without the expense of a custom bullet mold. A main point can be made is that if one uses a mold just under the size of the mold desired it would therefor have the less to lap away, AND be more able to lap one to a more accurate mold.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Italian Rifles”