Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Odd 5 surplus rifles one should never buy

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Odd 5 surplus rifles one should never buy

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Most are Century monkey redos. He is certainly not fond of my favorite -- the Mas 36. In its original caliber french 7.5 it is an excellent shooter. Most rechambered dogs are problematic. I'd add the 1895 Chilean Mauser rechambered to Nato 308 with the use of an insert that comes loose. :shifty: :think:

https://sofrep.com/69752/top-5-rifles-never-buy/

Worst firearms made:
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu ... wice-24943
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: Odd 5 surplus rifles one should never buy

#2 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:50 pm

I disagree with the Mas-36 7.62 conversions, I have seen a couple, shot one and really never saw an issue with extraction... I dislike the smug comment on no safety.. there was logic there.. Agree or disagree, and to complain about a solid block receiver.. I think more guns should have that kind of problem...
Last edited by indy1919a4 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TNGhost
United States of America

#3 Post by TNGhost » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:28 pm

I own three of the five rifles on that list, albeit the 49/56 and the 36 MAS rifles are in the original 7.5 French caliber.

I have to heartily disagree with the assessment of the Beretta Storm though. I have had one in .40 S&W for a number of years and have had no problems with it, and can't say as I agree with how they say it handles either. I like the way mine handles and I knew what the stock looked like before I bought it, so no issue there.

I also like the simple ambidextrous option as I am left handed, and the rails are handy as well. All in all, I find it to be a great companion to my 96 Brigadier.

As far as the AR180B, at this late date, I doubt many are buying it as a shooter, but as a collectors item.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#4 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:35 pm

As I have been told before, "Safeties aren't." Just ask those people who decided to work on their Remington 700's with the safety on and the gun still loaded. The only safe gun is a fully unloaded one. Why any judge ruled for people working on loaded guns with the safety on is beyond me. That's stupid in a nutshell. If you don't take the time to unload your gun before you work on it, shame on you and you deserve what you get from it.

As for shooting the MAS-36, not a bad rifle. The bolt is very ergonomic and easy to use. The sighting is difficult to adjust though with the rear sight aperture having to be entirely replaced instead of adjusted. This should be the main beef with this rifle, not the safety. Its better than the Gewehr 98K from what I've experienced shooting both. Peep sights beat tangent sights from what I've seen as well. The SMLE at least has a 10 round magazine, which beats most all bolt action rifles hands down.

I heavily suspect a US GI bias towards all things French that is lasting through the generations. As long as its French, its bad to them. I tend to regard their opinions as absolutely ignorant unless they actually own one. Few rarely bother to study the French military as well. Not without its faults, but not without its successes, even in WWII.

Best Regards,

Mark

jardows
United States of America

#5 Post by jardows » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Meh, it's like all those "list" articles - very short on details, and the reasoning behind the list is weak. I would be much more interested in a real article outlining real reasons, not just "reports" of problems.

hardcore
United States of America

#6 Post by hardcore » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 am

i got 3 of them off the list.

well 2 i guess, my 180 is a sterling

i have the mas 36 and the 49/56

on the 49/56 in .308, i had it worked ove, the gas system and had it accept fn mags. the reason i had bought the 49/56 was the shortness of it. i wanted a carbine in .308. it does shot well no double fires or extraction problems

on the mas 36......shoots well, the stock is alittle short for me and i dont like the bayonet
Attachments
IMG_2003 (1).JPG

hardcore
United States of America

#7 Post by hardcore » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 am

forgot the ar 180....
Attachments
IMG_1432.JPG

Burner
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by Burner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 am

Well that article was written by a complete and utter moron. I wonder how long it took him to find photos of those guns as he has never handled one in real life.
Hell if he had a clue of the worst designed POS on the surplus market he would have had the Yugo 59/66 at the top of the list. It is the biggest POS ever fielded by a military service. Designed to fail from the factory. I have owned a dozen ( had to fix every one to make it function) and had to fix even more for poor newbies that bought that junk.. Hell I even threw one down range once. They do make a great spear. That is about all I can say about that junk
Aint nothing you cant fix with five gallons of diesel and a match.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”