http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:11 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I've decided that this topic needs to have it's own thread, mainly because I haven't seen this research done by anyone anywhere else.

Please do not use this thread to post how bad or unsafe this rifle is. This thread is for the purpose of research into the quality of different generation models of the universal and is not going to be based on hear-say opinions.

I am compiling a list of Universal Carbine serial numbers and attempting to deduce where the different productions began. Here's what I need:

1. Serial Number (first three numbers will suffice)
2. Number of springs (one or two)
3. Bolt Lock lever?
4. Problems?

here's what I have so far

18xxx first generation one spring
84xxx first generation one spring
164xxx second generation two spring, no locking lever
168xxx second generation two springs
4xxxxx third generation two spring, with locking lever

please feel free to add to this list, hopefully we can deduce which universals are first, second and third generation.

Thanks!!

****EDIT*****

transition in production between first generation and second generation is somewhere between 93xxx and 104xxx
transition in production between second generation and third generation is somewhere between 176xxx and 187xxx.

Last edited by sharpshooterhawk on Mon May 07, 2007 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:05 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Hello,
Here is some info on mine.
188xx
one spring
no lock lever, pin like GI
I have a good portion of FTE even with the new extractor and ejector.
function better with 30rd mags than it does with 15 rders
I hope this helps.
question let me know
Thanks
Ric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:50 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

heres one of mine
1.317xxx
2.2 spring
3.lock lever
4.no problems,except it doesn't like S&B ammo doesn't eject and the dirty wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

154xxx
2 springs
no locking lever
came with original lifetime warranty registration letter dated october 22nd 1970
problems? took it to the range once and it required at least 2 strikes to fire the wolf i had with me... could be a gun problem could be a bad batch of wolf... i'll get back with you on this next time i get to the range

http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com the collection

Post subject: Transition in production
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:53 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Thank you very much for the updates!

Here's an update of my own.

1. I've found that the transition in production between first generation and second generation is somewhere between 93xxx and 104xxx

2. (not so clear) transition in production between second and third generation is somewhere between 168xxx and 311xxx

I have not seen a single serial number in the 200k range yet, but I've seen one as high as 486xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have a Universal M1 Carbine that my father gave me. I think he bought it new in the mid 60's.

Serial # 229XX
Single spring
Locking pin

I have not shot it since receiving it a few months ago. My father and brother shot it occasionally without problems.

Post subject: Gunshow Universal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:25 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Well, looks like you've got a very authentic reproduction! Thank you for your contribution.

I was at a local gun show this weekend, bought a magazine for my universal, took it home and found that it sat too high in the magazine well and would not feed a round into the chamber. Took it back to the dealer with the universal so that I could show him. He exchanged it and I was on my way until somebody told me they were selling another universal at a dealers table. Needless to say, I took the opportunity to check it out. It was a third generation, serial 487xxx and so I took the opportunity to inspect it side by side with my second generation. The differences were very clear cut in the workmanship and I really wasn't impressed. I told the dealer what I knew about them, and he wanted to buy my universal for what he was selling the third generation for ($350). I didn't sell it, but I got a feel for the carbine market here in town. I was approached by a lot of people wanting to buy.

At this particular show, M-1's and parts were hard to find. Found one paratrooper USGI m-1 for $750, but I didn't have the cash on me to buy it, I considered selling my winchester model 24 to get it, but decided against it. Also, couldn't find any .30 carbine ammo or any slings and oilers.

I hope there's more in the market next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I've got a M1 Carbine with serial number 387XXX I don't know much about it but the bolt does lock open if the little pin is pushed.

It has with the Serial Number something about U.S Arms or U.S. Military. I can't remember which.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:20 pm 

I have a National Ordinance m1 carbine. Serial number 5989. Has the lever lock pin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:33 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

i think we got a couple who missed the point of this thread being for the Universal Carbine made by Universal Firearms

http://necropimp.home.insightbb.com the collection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:53 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Here is my info:

Serial # 791xx
one spring
Push pin bolt hold open
No problems yet

Gun show purchase November 2006 $175.00.

91/30, M-38, M-44, SKS 59/66, Turk Mauser, RIA .45, M-69, GP WASR-10, CS45, SW9VE, Hi-Point 995, P22, M48A, PT92FSA, CZ-52, M-1 Carbine, Marlin 30-30, P-85, DPMS 16" AR-15, EAA .357, Superior Arms 20" AR-15, 7.62 x 39 AR-15, HRA M1 Garand, MP45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Pappy you got a good price.
Nice looking rifle.
Ric

Post subject: EUREKA!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:42 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I think I've got it pretty pinned down now as far as production goes. Found a universal on gunbroker serial number is 187xxx and it's a third generation. This pins down the transition in production to 3rd generation from between 168xxx and 187xxx.

transition in production between first generation and second generation is somewhere between 93xxx and 104xxx
transition in production between second generation and third generation is somewhere between 168xxx and 187xxx.

Highest number I've seen is 486xxx

I think this information is for the most part complete, I can accept 11k range for 1st/2nd gen and 19k range for 2nd/3rd gen. On another forum, I was told that somebody with s/n 123xxx was using a complete USGI trigger housing, which supports the theory that the transition 2nd generations CAN accept some USGI parts. I think that it would be worthwhile to compare the bolts and firing pins of a second and third generation to gauge the risk of a second generation firing out of battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have S/N 4699xx, 2 spring, bolt hold lever. The bolt can be disassembled using the GI bolt tool. The bolt is not GI as the firing pin is shaped different and it uses a spring. Works great with Korean surplus ammo (gun show years ago).

I wonder if the late model slam fire reports are because of a missing/broken spring in the bolt. These bolts are very difficult to disassemble without a bolt tool, and I doubt if they ever get inspected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:27 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

My Universal, 2 spring, no lock, is ser# 151xxx. Bought it new many, many years ago. Shoots good, eats most anything. It does have Wolf replacement springs though.