Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#181 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:53 pm

DSC_0006.JPG
Here is a picture of my very first water detector prototype that I made 59 years ago. So simple and can be made as sophisticated as desired. And most plane owners do not know how much more safely they can make their plane by making and installing one on their plane. The FAA is big on the, “Mother, may I.” They are very strict on what one may do to their airplane. This can be a good and a bad thing, but mostly good I guess. I realize that I am contradicting myself by saying this, but I know that most plane owners do not know, DO NOT KNOW, just what all they can do to their own plane without asking, ‘Mother, may I’. And I sure don’t know either.

But so many small private planes go down, some where, way, way too often because of water in their fuel. I am well aware of, “Ignorance is bliss.” It’s here it’s there, it’s everywhere. But in this case ignorance kills. I am pretty darn sure that someone dies every day some where in this world because of water in their aircraft fuel. The FAA will not even suggest that a water detector system should be installed on piston powered planes. With jets, things work a little different. With jets, usually the engine will give more thrust if water is injected into the engine. When the 707’s first came into passenger service, the FAA required that they take off with 600 gallon of deionized water to give the extra thrust during take off...I don’t know just how ‘hard fast’ this was. That was back in the days when the engineers thought that the smaller engines were better for fuel economy. Well, they still are, but better engines have been designed and better compromises have been made. Water injection systems have been an ‘on and off’ thing for regular vehicle for a long time, but they are too finicky for the average person to control and maintain. But if one wishes, and they know what they are doing, they can experiment without burning up their engine and get a ‘little’ better fuel mileage....there is that big ‘IF’. I have thought of a way to do it and is simple and fool proof. I did make my own Electronic Ignition System for my 57 Chevy before they were available to the public. I had my wife help me with the long wire as I rewound a regular automobile coil with 50 yards of fine wire. Mallory finally came out with the appropriate coil, and the rest is history.

We spent the summer of 95 in Alaska and I saw so many, so many make-shift lake-side fuel storage tanks at docks for their float planes that were down right sloppy and simple and scary just to see with no water trap or filter features what-so-ever. And, Alaska is known for their high aircraft accident rates. Of course a lot of this is attributed to the bad weather conditions which in turn is caused by bad flyers – just plain dumb flyers that push their luck. But add to this the problems with water in fuel which is 100 % preventable...and they just ignore this completely...a mind boggling conundrum. Heck, a lot people believe that the whole world has this condition.

I have read that Mercedes automobiles can be bought with automatic water and fuel separation and disposal systems.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#182 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:00 pm

I don’t know just how they are making it conductive and still plastic coated but they have had versions of these since I don’t know when. I remember as a kid my dad always having these. A first line water filter for refueling one’s plane should be to use one of these, but I have never seen one bother to use one, for their plane. I found out that it was almost impossible to make a zippered little storage bag to keep the smell of fuel out of the plane. I have never seen one for sale. And even if one was to design one, it wouldn’t sell because people wouldn’t bother to use the funnel in the first place.
https://aerosafe.com/product/mr-funnel-model-f15-c/
The problem with using these at the typical airport fuel station is that it would greatly increase the refueling time. I don’t know just how big one would have to be to handle the regular flow rate of the typical fuel pump. People would just not to want to wait for some slow fuel filter. Now isn’t that funny....safety be danged Just give me that fuel, safe or not, and let me get going. Systems could be designed to properly filter out water at the aircraft refueling stations, no problem there, but the people would not want to have the added costs involved.

Believe it not, that is the way most things work. Does one ever wonder just why some countries general AC power is 120 volts and some use 230 or 240 volts?
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#183 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:44 pm

Water injection -

At first glace one may wonder just how water can be injected into a jet engine and increase it’s trust. It was just a cheap way to increase thrust when needed most as in take-offs and a low thrust engine could suffice for normal cruise. https://mdao.grc.nasa.gov/publications/ ... _20_04.pdf One article says as much as 30 % more thrust – that is a lot of extra thrust. I don’t know if it is used much these days.
And it may serve in ‘Earth Justus Needs’ – take a bite out of that. Yes, that is one of those things that we will let our great-great grand kids worry about, we won’t have to pay for it now. And, AND, it may be cheaper and easier to take care of in the future, who knows. I have some great, great grand children crawling around some where. I have a picture here some where of me and three older generations, when I was maybe one.

Last summer doing a hot spell my wife was coming here from Phoenix and after setting around for take-off for some extra minutes it was announced that they couldn’t take-off because it was too hot and they would give two passengers 400 dollars each if they would get off and take the next flight, and some couple jumped up and took them up on it. Here is where water injection would have come in handy.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#184 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:21 pm

NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#185 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:52 am

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-eff ... eadout.htm

These are almost a must-have, or maybe a should be, or at least ‘a nice to have’. I have two - one on a 72 International Scout II that I added and one that came as standard on a 82 Cadillac. I understand that some of the later vehicles are coming with these as standard equipment.

These can be a life saver with the aircraft version – they just don’t readout in MPG of course.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#186 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Holy Mackerel --- I just saw where these International Scouts have an asking price in the 30K + range with one of an asking price of 139K. I suddenly have one for sale. I wonder just how many coats of wax is required to ask that 139K.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#187 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Okay, can you see what I am talking about in short-field landings and using Full-Power. In FAA pilot training they cover what is called ‘Slow-Flight’. This is as close to emergency short-field landings as they will get. But this is done at altitude, a safe enough altitude to recover from a spin. This is even if one knows how to recover from a spin, which they won’t teach.

Ask any pilot here if they could make an emergency safe landing in the lawn or parking lot of a hospital in 50 feet or less if required to get a person there to help save their life. Or, if you are flying with a pilot, ask them if they could do it. I’ll bet the usually answer would be ‘NO’.

As to the ‘Box-Canyon, flying, it is similar. Here in the mountainous west, where a untrained pilot is taking his family up for a scenic ride or flying cross country and not paying attention and finds themselves in a situation where they don’t have enough space to turn around. This is quite common around here. But if they know what to do - go to full power immediately and go the right side of the canyon and make the slowest speed turn they can and go back.

But as Paul Harvey use to say, “Now here is the rest of the story.” The reason that this is not taught is simple, ‘It is too dangerous, to teach’. Quite often I can see on the TV news where a flight instructor and student are killed in an accident. This is because the instructor has allowed them to get into situation where they were too close to the ground and the student made a mistake and the instructor did not have the time to recover from the situation. This is just the life of an instructor – some are just better at it than others. The better one is at it the better their chances are to go on to teach another day. The US navy use to teach how to make these full power landings in the piston engine days for carrier landings. But now I gather that they have quit that because it is unnecessarily too dangerous. They called that, “Going over the top.”

Another reason that it is dangerous now-a days because most civilian light plane have a yoke and not a stick. It is a lot more easily to control at these full power landings with the stick because it is easier to move the stick than turn a wheel.

One just can not make that one little improper move at this full power landing and expect to do it properly every time. Just like the paradox of night flying....the more night flying one does, the better at it they become. But, the more night flying one does, the closer they come to that ‘last’ unsuccessful night flight. I have come so close to killing myself too many times...at least eight or so times, five times in one day. All because of stupid complacency. Complacency kills.

But here is another way to look at it, if one really has to make that short-field, slow-landing, and screw up, they will more than likely just break the plane and be able to walk away. Therefore, THEREFORE, I will say, go ahead and teach one’s self how to do it.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#188 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Just some more of the 'Others'.
I like to keep in mind that no matter how much one may think that they know about something, it is so very little. As in, “No one knows but a small almost insignificant amount about anything.”

When one may think that they are a master of something, they are only fooling themselves. And there are people that will keep trying to convince themselves and others that they are a master. But it is a perfectly good thing for one to be a better master at something – if one doesn’t try to be better at something, they will never be good at anything.

I heard Larry King say on TV that he was always trying to be better at marriage. Could it be that he just tries harder than most?
NRA LIFE MEMBER

slowbob2
United States of America

#189 Post by slowbob2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Are you still out there and ok ? You have been gone for four days .

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#190 Post by 72 usmc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:36 pm

He was still active on the 15th of January, so he is still kicking. He's older than dirt and still as sharp as a tack.
He generally comments if the post topic switches off his post. Always interesting stuff from a lifetime of experience & knowledge. :clap:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Mashuga
United States of America

#191 Post by Mashuga » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:48 pm

I agree with you 72 usmc. I enjoy reading his posts of the things he has experienced in his life. I hope OLDGUNNER has not run out of topics to post about.

slowbob2
United States of America

#192 Post by slowbob2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:40 am

I was just hoping he had not been eaten by the mother of the bear cub he posted photos of himself playing with .

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#193 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:21 pm

RAMBLE
Hi – Well yes, I thought maybe I should take a break – there seemed to be not too much interest in what I have been rambling about. But I am appreciable for the kind words. And then just a month and a half ago I made a stupid mistake and slipped and fell and broke my back. All broken backs are not created equal...so mine is a ‘hair-line crack’ in the T-9 vertebrae...but mine hurts like the dickens and I don’t know just how long or deep the hair-line is and I gather that not much more on the depth can be determined so all the prognoses are the same – It may take weeks or months for it to mend. I did not realize just how many nerves are in the bones. I spent a full month in a rehab facility, physical rehab, not the substance abuse type.

So here I am just laying around the house and I just ordered a Gamo Swarm .22 Airgun so I may set on the deck and maybe learn to shoot crows on the fly. For some reason most every morning a large Murder of crows of at least 200 fly right over my front yard going east and before noon fly back west. I always I thought it would be nice to learn to shoot skeet with a .22 but I have found a skeet range where this can be done safely unable to find. Actually I don’t think that there is a skeet range in the county.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Mashuga
United States of America

#194 Post by Mashuga » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:27 am

I'm glad to see you back OLDGUNNER. Too bad about your fall but, I'm glad it was not worse. Take it as easy as you can and heal. I hope to see you back posting about...well I guess I'll call it your 'Rambles' since you mentioned it. Keep us updated on how taking crows on the wing is going.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#195 Post by indy1919a4 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 pm

OLDGUNNER wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:21 pm
I always I thought it would be nice to learn to shoot skeet with a .22 but I have found a skeet range where this can be done safely unable to find. Actually I don’t think that there is a skeet range in the county.
it may be easier to find a rifle range that lets you toss Skeet in it to practice,, ???
There are a lot of crazy youtubes of people shooting skeets with 22s,, Pretty amazing

I like this guy with his tracer 22,, never even knew they made such a thing...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click

Heck never knew you could hit skeet with a 22 :)

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”