Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

.32NAA loads for your Makarov

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

.32NAA loads for your Makarov

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:25 am

For those of you who were lucky enough and had the foresight to jump on the band wagon and get one of the group buy Makarov barrels in .32 NAA,this info is for you.
The longer Mak barrel really brings this little cartridge to life. You can push a 60 grain bullet darn near 2,000 FPS and a 71 grain out to 1,650 FPS without pushing the limits of the brass.
Over the years I have worked up many loads. Some good,some outstanding. All work the slide with the 14-16 pound recoil spring 100% of the time. The loads shoot flat to 50 yards and are accurate. I'm getting good case life and several reloads per case.
These loads are safe in my pistol. In the NAA Guardian Pistol I think while safe to shoot out of the much shorter barrel,recoil may not be pleasant.
Makarov.com sold two variations of their .32 NAA barrels. One in the so called "White" with very shallow rifling,and one blued with more pronounced rifling. These loads are for the former.
Reduce by 1/2 grain for the latter barrels.

.32 NAA LOAD DATA for converted Makarov pistols
Cast 71 grain RN lubed bullets ( hard cast wheel-weights)
Bullseye 3.8 grains
Unique 4.8 grains
Bluedot 4.8 grains
WW231 5.0 grains max ( cracked neck on some brands)
Rex # 2 4.2 grains
WW-WSF * 4.2 grains
Lil'Gun 6.0 grains
AA-# 5 6.2 grains

* Winchester Super Field is impressive in the .32 NAA. The recoil was the strongest of all loads tested and there was a nice fireball and loud boom. No pressure signs at all.

The little bottle neck .32 NAA is a serious CCW cartridge out of the Makarov pistol. It meets and in some loadings,exceeds .32 H&R Magnum with the same weight bullet.
It shoots flat and 2nd shot recovery is easy to do out of the Mak. The cast lead bullet penetrates completely through the FBI gelatin block. A hollow point blows up and fragments 12" into the block leaving a nasty permanent wound channel. The .32 NAA really is the "mouse that roars" out of a Makarov pistol. It outperforms it's size as most bottle neck cartridges do in a handgun.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: .32NAA loads for your Makarov

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:02 pm

I test fired all the loads listed for accuracy at 25 yards yesterday. All but the Bluedot loads shot very well. I would say offhand,the Unique load had a slight edge over the other loads.I was able to keep ten shots in a 3" circle,and with the Bulgarian sights on the pistol,that's not too bad.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “Reloading”