Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Hurricane Michael

ffuries
United States of America

Hurricane Michael

#1 Post by ffuries » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:43 am

Just a quick note......We were ground zero for Hurricane Michael, which as yall know was a catastrophic category 5 storm. Panama City, Florida looks like a war zone, with the storm itself and all the tornadoes it spurn we are fortunate to be alive. Even though the house is standing it's looking like it might be done for. The entire second floor has shifted, the roof was lifted from the supports. It's hard looking at the house and thinking it doesn't look too bad, then walking inside it and seeing the structural damage. We are trying to remain upbeat, but when things quiet down for the evening and your mind starts to comprehend it all, and you realize you are essentially homeless it hits you hard.

So I'll be MIA from this site for sometime, I'll check in from time to time, but I guess guns are not my biggest priority right now. My collection survived and I am coming up with ideals for storage.

I wish everyone a safe and happy holidays in the coming months.

A picture taken right after the storm passed. For my wife and I getting the flag pole and flag back up was a priority. Right after the storm passed she said you know you have to get the pole and flag back up.

With in minutes of raising my flag that morning it became a hot topic and place of congregation. Our neighbors out walking surveying the damage to our subdivision, people driving by to check on love ones, you name it, stopped to take photos of it, thanking me for putting the colors out.

I was told that by raising the flag, we are saying as a community we are bruised and battered but we aren't out of the fight yet. I had one old vet stop by and salute it, other people teared up. My flag has been stricken less than 10 times, since I moved into thIs house in Feb 1993. 

This was taken seconds after I raised it. 

Yes America we were Ground Zero for Hurricane Michael and we are still here, Battered, Bruised, yet we are Family, we are Americans, we are still Alive and Ready for a Fight.

May God bless our neighbors, may God bless all that rally to help us, and may God bless this Nation and Her Flag..
Attachments
20181011_063837.jpg
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

ffuries
United States of America

Re: Hurricane Michael

#2 Post by ffuries » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:03 am

Here she at the end of day one, with her colors a blaze by the last rays of a fading day......In all this destruction there can still be beauty..........
Attachments
20181011_180051.jpg
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm

A few years ago my wife decided to start flying the flag. This is her third one after two have worn out. I think that this may be an only one flying in a five mile radius – maybe more. This view is a more docile view of the area. To our back is the Great Divide at 12,000 plus feet. A neighbor lady and my wife walked to the top one day, I never have. This area, in my 24 years here, has never had a Hurricane, has never had a Cyclone, has never had a Tornado, has never had a flood...This is at 8175 feet and if we get flooded out, there is not much hope for the rest of the world any way...And I have seen it said, has an average of 285 days of sunshine. a year. I just don’t know how this 285 days is figured, but the weather is just great. I have lived in and visited all 50 states and am sure glad we picked this area to retire. I know, everyone has to live somewhere, and we can't go fishing in the gulf.
DSC_0042.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
And we do have snow - this is just 180 from the other photo. That is the local piece of the Great Divide behind the house. That is our house right in the middle. As I said, no we can't fish in the gulf, but we do have a bunch of other critters. They are all friendly except for the mountain lions. They are just down right nasty...and people can't take a nice evening walk in the moonlight just because of them.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Material things can be replaced,humans cannot. I'm so glad your all OK. I feel compassion for the folks in Mexico Beach area.
We as Americans have always rallied around the flag, at least those of us who do care. It's nice to see your neighbors keep the can-do spirit when things go south.
You may have given then the jump start they need to get the job done. Well done.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 pm

attachment]Here is what I mean by friendly critters. I think that his mother had just kicked him out and we became friends. The top picture was the first day he came around and a couple of days later he came back. Notice that I was a little apprehensive, but we became good friends for the rest of the summer. He would come by and hang around for an hour like a pet dog and get his head scratched. He recognized his name, Buddy, and would come running when I would call him and he was around.
Attachments
Scan.BMP.jpg
NRA LIFE MEMBER

HectorFuego
United States of America

#7 Post by HectorFuego » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 pm

So sorry to hear about all the damage. Here in middle America we have to worry about tornadoes, but they are pretty surgical and only last about 30 seconds if you are hit by one. I read where Michael was like an F2 tornado that lasted for 30 minutes. That must have been terrifying. Glad you are okay, and I hope the repairs are done quickly. How's the food and water situation where you are? I understand that's a real problem in some areas.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

ffuries
United States of America

#8 Post by ffuries » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:56 pm

We are staying with our next door neighbor right now, my son is taking his two kids, and 2 dogs up to his in laws house in SC, where his wife arrived yesterday after being sent home to heal after a Army boot camp injury.*

Friends and total strangers from the neighboring counties have been bringing fuel, water, baby wipes (love the clean feeling after a wipe bath, and that's not sarcasm there) and other necessities needed to feel civilized again. It's amazing how disasters can bring people together and bring out the best in them.

My generator has been supplying power for 3 houses, that thing is worth its weight in gold 10 times over. It has allowed so many people simple comforts, like a window AC, or running a microwave, freezer, fridge etc.

As some of yall know from first hand experience, our world and lives are in total chaos right now. Trying to get a plan, but I just don't know. Structurally it looks like the house is unstable, the entire second story has shifted, and the roof supports were lifted up but remained on the house.*

On a funny note, I recieved an email letting me know the local gun show was canceled.......but that they hoped to see us at the surrounding shows.*

Starbucks from 2 counties over stopped by this morning with fresh hot coffee. The lady was dragging a wagon behind her, gave us a carton with a gallon or more of the coffee, cups, and all the extras for those who needed it. While she did our street, there were others on the other streets. A local BBQ joint came by and handed out killer BBQ pork sandwiches, OMG the sandwich was awesome.

My "WARNING YOU LOOT I SHOOT" sign has garnered a lot of positive responses. Hell a local Sheriff Deputy even remarked "I take it you are well protected?" Then said "They jimmy a locked door to get in, they aren't there to socialize and they were fore warned"...........

Sun burned from working in the sun all day, seriously sore, worn out, and exhausted beyond words. Our cat has finally come out of hiding LOL.*

Just looked at my cell phone clock and noticed it was Saturday, and here I've been thinking it was Friday all day.*

No word on when we'll get power back, some estimates have it not being for several weeks up to a few months.

A girl my wife went to HS in England with, has some retired Marine friends that heard of our situation, a long with me being retired AF and a disabled vet, wiith a son who was Marine, so they are coming up from Tampa area with wood, tarps, tools etc. To make emergency repairs to the roof to keep the elements out, board up broken windows, that way the wife and I can get into our house and start cleaning it up, I have another window AC in the shed I can use to cool the MBR so we can crash at our own house.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#9 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 am

I just mentioned in a posting that I haven’t seen much US flag flying locally, and then I realized that it is generally illegal to fly the US Flag in the town of Pagosa Springs, either written or unwritten, I don’t know. Now one may think that this is ridicules, but hang on a minute. Just a month ago I listened to a reading of the US Constitution on the web and I marveled at the vague and controversial language of it. I thought that no one could just read it and understand it. If you don’t believe me, just read it for yourself and then try to figure out just what you have read, in a lot of it. Why it was written that way is questioned by many, and rightly so. This is why the supreme court was provided for, for some one to decide just what was meant by the constitution. The amendments came along later and were more clearly written, except of course for the second one. They still had to have that questionable language included just to.....I don’t know why. They had to really burn the midnight oil with that one in arguing just how to word it. Even a student in our failing schools could have written it more clearly.

But to the flag flying here and in a lot of the US. We happen to live in a special area, within a national forest – we have no problem. We drive two miles towards town and we enter a large Homeowner’s Association, which is more than half the size of the town. And Colorado has some what I would call strange laws. See this link: https://www.hoaleader.com/public/139.cfm Notice it specifically mentions Colorado.

The powers to be here doesn’t want to really say just why they have made the Flag Flying illegal but I have heard that it was because during the civil war this was a mixed area of northern and southern sympathizers and I have no reason not to believe this. This big subdivision at the edge of town is not that old, maybe 30 years old but someone put the US Flag out front and then someone else put out the confederate battle flag, and one can imagine what happened. Consequently, If one wants to own a property in the subdivision they have to agree to the HMO covenants, of not flying a flag. And for some reason that is not clear to me, the whole town agreed to this also. The few exceptions are say for the 4th of July parades and such. I don’t think that even the local US Post office flies one. Maybe there is a little one somewhere.

And it seems ever month or so some one will take a local town law or the HOA’s covenants to local circuit court. There is one guy in town that hangs a big US flag maybe 50 by 35 feet or so just for defiance and sells beer under it. He makes the beer in his little brewery right next to it. I’ll stop in there had have a beer and take a picture – I haven’t been there yet. Yes, I believe that that the writers of the constitution didn't want to touch the flag part.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:05 am

I just mentioned in a posting that I haven’t seen much US flag flying locally, and then I realized that it is generally illegal to fly the US Flag in the town of Pagosa Springs, either written or unwritten, I don’t know. Now one may think that this is ridicules, but hang on a minute. Just a month ago I listened to a reading of the US Constitution on the web and I marveled at the vague and controversial language of it. I thought that no one could just read it and understand it. If you don’t believe me, just read it for yourself and then try to figure out just what you have read, in a lot of it. Why it was written that way is questioned by many, and rightly so. This is why the supreme court was provided for, for some one to decide just what was meant by the constitution. The amendments came along later and were more clearly written, except of course for the second one. They still had to have that questionable language included just to.....I don’t know why. They had to really burn the midnight oil with that one in arguing just how to word it. Even a student in our failing schools could have written it more clearly.

But to the flag flying here and in a lot of the US. We happen to live in a special area, within a national forest – we have no problem. We drive two miles towards town and we enter a large Homeowner’s Association, which is more than half the size of the town. And Colorado has some what I would call strange laws. See this link: https://www.hoaleader.com/public/139.cfm Notice it specifically mentions Colorado.

The powers to be here doesn’t want to really say just why they have made the Flag Flying illegal but I have heard that it was because during the civil war this was a mixed area of northern and southern sympathizers and I have no reason not to believe this. This big subdivision at the edge of town is not that old, maybe 30 years old but someone put the US Flag out front and then someone else put out the confederate battle flag, and one can imagine what happened. Consequently, If one wants to own a property in the subdivision they have to agree to the HMO covenants, of not flying a flag. And for some reason that is not clear to me, the whole town agreed to this also. The few exceptions are say for the 4th of July parades and such. I don’t think that even the local US Post office flies one. Maybe there is a little one somewhere.

And it seems ever month or so some one will take a local town law or the HOA’s covenants to local circuit court. There is one guy in town that hangs a big US flag maybe 50 by 35 feet or so just for defiance and sells beer under it. He makes the beer in his little brewery right next to it. I’ll stop in there had have a beer and take a picture – I haven’t been there yet. Yes, I believe that that the writers of the constitution didn't want to touch the flag part.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ffuries
United States of America

#11 Post by ffuries » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:25 am

Back yard shot showing damage during the eye...
Attachments
20181010_125928.jpg
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

ffuries
United States of America

#12 Post by ffuries » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:30 am

Debris at front door after the storm. Most of it was from my roof, weird how the winds deposited my missing roof pieces by the door.
Attachments
20181011_071513.jpg
Last edited by ffuries on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

ffuries
United States of America

#13 Post by ffuries » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:35 am

Front yard debris.....Sad part is my roof shingles are spread over a one block area in every direction.
Attachments
20181011_063848.jpg
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

ffuries
United States of America

#14 Post by ffuries » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:10 am

Sheriff's deputy had no issues with this........

Lots of people taking pictures off it, saw a news crew taking pics and video of it. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing! I was too busy with more important stuff then to deal with them at the time.
There has been looting in a lot areas already, even right across the highway from us.
Attachments
20181014_094634.jpg
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

HectorFuego
United States of America

#15 Post by HectorFuego » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Currently, it looks like nearly 54% of the residents in Bay County, FL are without power.
https://poweroutage.us/

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

Return to “General Off Topic”