Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Vz 98/22 sight trouble

Forum for rifles not listed
StonewallSharpeson
United States of America

Vz 98/22 sight trouble

#1 Post by StonewallSharpeson » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:51 am

Hello, I have 2 Czech 98/22 rifles. These rifles have E stamps, meaning that they were accepted into Czech service, and were at some point sold to, I believe, Turkey - as opposed to Persia. I say this because of a lack of foreign stamps on them.
The problem is that I can't hit anything with them, probably because of the rear sights, or perhaps because of the ammo that I'm firing.

1) The rear sights are marked in Arabic numerals, starting at 4 and going up to 21. A Turkish friend and I decided that these are most likely meters, though in the '20s and '30s the newly minted Republic of Turkey was in a transitional period between their old imperial measurement system - in which case the sights would presumably be in Turkish Arshins (68cm) - and the metric system.
Using these 400-? sights, I hit at about 6" above my point of aim at 50 yds. I hit about a foot or so high at 100 yds. At 200 yds, I'm not even hitting paper; my rounds are hitting the berm probably 3-7 feet above, - and frequently wide of - my point of aim.
Why is this? What can I do about it? Can I get a different sight set to use with these rifles?

2) Could it be that I'm using the wrong ammo? I shoot a variety of surplus 8mm, but most of it is surplus light ball (~150gr) from various places. I know that in the interwar period, the Germans decided they wanted to switch to heavy ball ammo (~200gr) and changed their barrels accordingly. Could the Czechs have done the same? Would the Turks, or Persians, still have shot that?

I'd appreciate any help the community can give me.
Admins, I have posted this in the general, Czech, Turkish, and Middle Eastern forums. If this is against policy, please inform me and I will delete the others.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Vz 98/22 sight trouble

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:01 am

These rifles are known to be good shooters. I'd check my front sight height first. It sounds like it has been filed down ( shooting high)
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

#3 Post by ammolab » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Germans and others didn’t change their “barrels” (twist?) for the switch in bullet weigh they did alter sight ramps for different trajectory of the SS ball.

You can easily buy a taller front sight to hit paper at shorter distance. Brownells sells a TALL Mauser front sight that you can file down to precisely sight in your rifles.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... od341.aspx

bobvz
United States of America

#4 Post by bobvz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 pm

The easiest thing to do is to buy a couple of M38 Turk Mauser rear sight ladders with slider. These decline the elevation, are in meters, and will put you in the black. Usually about $10 ea.

StonewallSharpeson
United States of America

#5 Post by StonewallSharpeson » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:49 pm

bobvz wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:48 pm
The easiest thing to do is to buy a couple of M38 Turk Mauser rear sight ladders with slider. These decline the elevation, are in meters, and will put you in the black. Usually about $10 ea.
That’s a great idea! Wouldn’t I have to buy a new sight base (ramp) with that, too?
8BCC5F58-189D-482F-82D3-ED1886F7D6EA.png
M38TurkMauserRearSight

bobvz
United States of America

#6 Post by bobvz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:55 pm

No, the sight base curvature matches the trajectory of the 8x57 round. The Turk leaf lacks an extension that makes it sit up higher at the 300 meter range. Thus it sits lower on the curve and regulates to 100 meters. I have 3 rifles equipped with them and all three are in the black. You have to get a small punch to drive out the hinge retainer pin from the sight leaf. Then you can remove the leaf. When I install the Turk sights I leave out the pin as it is not necessary. I bag it with the original sight so I can restore it to original if needed.

See figure 44: http://web.archive.org/web/201001131053 ... /index.asp

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Return to “Military Bolt Action Rifle General Topics”