Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Les Fusils Semi-Automatiques Militaires Français, Mle.1917,MAS 44, 49, 49/56 et FAMAS
Post Reply
teelau
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 pm
Age: 24
Location: College Station, Texas

Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by teelau »

I was told this forum was superior to Gunboards so I decided to join.

Here is my Mas.

Im pretty sure the bolt is humped/replaced stateside which is unfortunate because the rest of the rifle is perfect but maybe you guys can shed some light on it. Maybe humped and replaced before export? The Electropenciling looks too fresh and i can see part of the original underneath.


ImageImageImageImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swede
Member
Member
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 pm
Age: 58
Location: Poland, Maine

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by swede »

That's a nice one. I like mine a lot but yours is in great shape

indy1919a4
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
Posts: 1024
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 pm
Age: 56
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by indy1919a4 »

That is a nice looking rifle.. I do not know about this Bolt humping thing, I will wait to find out that myself..

But have any of you guys played around with the night sights for those.. It is nothing but low tech fun..
Attachments
MAS_4956NightSight.jpg
MAS_4956NightSight.jpg (237.1 KiB) Viewed 4783 times

teelau
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 pm
Age: 24
Location: College Station, Texas

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by teelau »

indy1919a4 wrote:That is a nice looking rifle.. I do not know about this Bolt humping thing, I will wait to find out that myself..

But have any of you guys played around with the night sights for those.. It is nothing but low tech fun..

I want too but unfortunately my rifle didnt come with the night sight attachment. Ive heard they don’t work anymore though?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indy1919a4
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
Posts: 1024
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 pm
Age: 56
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by indy1919a4 »

teelau wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:24 pm
indy1919a4 wrote:That is a nice looking rifle.. I do not know about this Bolt humping thing, I will wait to find out that myself..

But have any of you guys played around with the night sights for those.. It is nothing but low tech fun..

I want too but unfortunately my rifle didnt come with the night sight attachment. Ive heard they don’t work anymore though?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get them pretty cheap.. There is not much to go wrong on those sights that a little dab of illumination paint can not fix up :D ..

User avatar
kelt
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:40 am
Age: 70
Location: France

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by kelt »

Careful if tinkering with the night sight dots, it's tritium, best not inhaled or ingested even when old!

The French Armourers erased or crossed over the old electrical pencil SN before writing the new one.

kelt

teelau
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 pm
Age: 24
Location: College Station, Texas

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by teelau »

kelt wrote:Careful if tinkering with the night sight dots, it's tritium, best not inhaled or ingested even when old!

The French Armourers erased or crossed over the old electrical pencil SN before writing the new one.

kelt

Thank you Kelt, You confirmed my suspensions that my rifles bolt is unoriginal.

Oh well. I still think its a fantastic example and I can wait to get it to the range and try it out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
kelt
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:40 am
Age: 70
Location: France

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by kelt »

The absence of a refurbishing stamp does not guaranty you rifle was not refurbished.

Since the rear sight winding adjustment screw hosting the peep sight of your rifle is not original to a standard rifle but looks like its from a MSE setup, the accuracy of your rifle may surprise you favourably.

Beware of slamfire with modern soft primer ammunition, an easy fix is to nip off 0,5mm from the firing pin tip leaving a larger flat surface to impact the primer, preventing unsolicited ignition.

teelau
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:23 pm
Age: 24
Location: College Station, Texas

Re: Non-refurb MAS 49/56

Post by teelau »

kelt wrote:The absence of a refurbishing stamp does not guaranty you rifle was not refurbished.

Since the rear sight winding adjustment screw hosting the peep sight of your rifle is not original to a standard rifle but looks like its from a MSE setup, the accuracy of your rifle may surprise you favourably.

Beware of slamfire with modern soft primer ammunition, an easy fix is to nip off 0,5mm from the firing pin tip leaving a larger flat surface to impact the primer, preventing unsolicited ignition.
Il keep that slam fire issue in mind for sure.

Is there a way to figure out if my rifle is refurbished beyond that refurb stamp? I figured since the wood didn’t look like typical refurb wood and since the stamp was not present it was original. But im still learning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “French Rifles”