Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Ishapore Sling

Arminius
Austria

Ishapore Sling

#1 Post by Arminius » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello!

I assume, that India used the standard British sling for the Ishapore 2A1s. The cotton webbing with the "open" "bosses"? ( I think these are "open" so the sling is easily fitted or removed? )

Now that may be practical in Military use, easily lenghtened and shortened for slinging or shooting, but I fear, it might not enable to "sling in"?

So for simple target practice and general shooting what do you all think about using a ( leather ) US 1907 sling ( the one with the two frogs )?

Thanks, Hermann

P.S.: title sounds a lot like "Singapore Sling", isn´t it? :angelic-innocent:
Guns. Also classy Women, good beer and fine wines. Did I mention guns? Lots of guns.
A man can never have enough ammunition, books and booze.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: Ishapore Sling

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

The British never taught "slinging up" so, to them, it wasn't relevant.
Yes, either that or get a 3rd sling swivel for the "King Screw" or sling swivel fitted, depending on what you have & use a "Ching Sling" type.
DSCF0874.JPG

Arminius
Austria

#3 Post by Arminius » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Wow!

Could you please elaborate on that "King screw" thing? Was this common?

Perhaps show a pic, what that looks like "in action"? ( in use, aiming, posed )

Now with that peep it looks REALLY "business like"! ( P H 5A? )

;-)

Hermann
Guns. Also classy Women, good beer and fine wines. Did I mention guns? Lots of guns.

Arminius
Austria

#4 Post by Arminius » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Just found this!

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/links ... -t-l42-ai/

"...small tin cleaning kit, handkerchief for cleaning the scope lenses and an American M1907 leather loop sling. The butt has a MkII sling swivel to facilitate the use of the loop sling. In its butt trap is an as issued oil bottle and pull through. ... "

Hermann

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#5 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 pm

"King Screw" is in inverted commas because its not really called that.Its the "main screw" right in front of the magazine well.
There were several versions of the 3rd sling swivel.
#1 the one I have, it fits early threaded, cast bottom metal.
Its original purpose was to sling (with a conventional sling) between the front of the trigger guard & the "Middle barrel band" (Horse Cavalry) carried them this way in "buckets" (what most Americans would call saddle scabbards"!)
After the cast, threaded part was replaced with the Later versions having the "wire loop" the bolt itself was modified for competition by having a sling swivel (frequently angled) sling swivel.
P-H made them as did the military they also came in flat & angled versions.
If you have the wire loop you need the replacement screw & swivel, if you have the early threaded fitting the swivel I show.
Here is my No4 fitted with a (modern) sling using the 3 swivels.
The front lop was set up to actually shoot, you ignored the rear end completely.
The rear was used to carry, only.
What it did was to remove the "dragging down" of the butt plate against the shoulder.
sorry about the poor video quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SovVmYlDz5g&t=50s

Spavac
United States of America

#6 Post by Spavac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Well, I believe the Ishapore 2A1 versions of the No.1 MkIII SMLE sport the wire loop (for the magazine retainer chain). If it's not there, perhaps it was ground off by a previous owner. Mr. Atkins narrative was a bit confusing to me at first but I believe the just of it is, if a person wants a mid-stock sling swivel on a rifle that doesn't have one, the screw that fastens it to the rifle would "replace" the front trigger guard screw. It wasn't obvious to me at first but I get it now :-). Initially, I didn't see the need for the mid-stock swivel. I am familiar with and was trained to loop the front of the sling around my left forearm to steady the rifle when shooting for precision and accuracy. I can definitely see how having the downward pull on the butt of the rifle eliminated could be beneficial. Having the sling fastened to a swivel in front of the magazine does this.

As a side note, I'm enjoying the "international flavor" of this thread. The OP is from Austria and prolly NOT an ex-pat as he owns a rifle AND spells his name (perhaps a pseudonym) with two NNs ;-). While Mr. Atkins lists his location to be in the U.S., he is clearly Canadian (watch the video). I don't exactly know when or why he emigrated to the U.S. but it might have had something to do with being able to load more than five rounds into the magazines of his rifles ;-). As for me, I'm just a regular guy from the Mid-West (USA) BUT I do have a strong Norwegian heritage!
Spavac

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#7 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am

Depending on the version of the bottom metal you'd use whichever was correct.
There are (at least) 3 the one shown using the cast swivel mount, a replacement bolt with a parallel swivel & another bolt with an angled swivel.
Additionally there were commercial models as well like the Parker-Hale.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”