Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Beginning a Second Build.

shoggoth80
United States of America

Beginning a Second Build.

#1 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:08 pm

So. I got the itch to put together another AR. I more or less expected this to happen, and my first new acquisition for 2019. Starting properly as someone who likes to tinker....a stripped lower. When I built my pistol, I started there, and while not exactly difficult, was fun, and rewarding.

This time around, I'm wanting to do a carbine, or rifle. Was thinking either 16", or 18". Where I'm having the debate is caliber. I know there's lots of options on a standard AR15 lower. My pistol is 5.56. There's something to be said for it in terms of general accuracy, and availability. But I'm also contemplating .300blk, but have no desire to run subsonic. I know .300blk uses faster powders, and gets only marginal improvements in velocity out of a regular length barrel.

Parts compatibility is good. Using lots of the same general components minus barrel, and gas length.

6.5 Grendel is tempting, but special bolt, mags. Though nice stainless barrels are enticing, special mags and bolt aren't. Same argument goes for x39 (which I'm invested in by way of AKM)

Wanting to do something a little more precision oriented, though not necessarily purpose built that way. All that said, I'm a fan of faster twist barrels and heavier projectiles for the caliber.

What does the hive mind think? Any reason I should deviate from classic 5.56?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Beginning a Second Build.

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:26 am

I have several AR's in different calibers. The .300 Whisper ( BLK) is really not worth the effort if you shoot long range. If your a close range blaster,100 yards or closer, it is a good cartridge. Not too many riflemen shoot this cartridge for what it was designed to do. Lob a 220 grain bullet,subsonic, to take out the bad guys at short range using a suppressor.
The 6.5 Grendal is a great cartridge at any range.
A fun caliber now that they,the makers have all the bugs worked out is 7.62x39. Cheap to shoot and ammo is everywhere. With good ammo the rifle is very accurate out to 800 yards.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

shoggoth80
United States of America

Re: Beginning a Second Build.

#3 Post by shoggoth80 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Still haven't made up my mind on caliber, aside from not being a pistol caliber. Lol. Might just rock good old 5.56 because cheap. I got a Bushmaster LPK for it. Using an MOE trigger guard, and an MFT grip. That said, they aren't designed to go together, as there is a plastic lip on the grip that's meant to fill the gap in the OG trigger guard, where the MOE guard is meant to take up that space. A little saw, or a file fixes that. Lol. The Mission First grip is decent with all that said, and would have worked fine with their own guard. It's a comfy grip for the relatively little money. I need to go pull my punches from storage, and drive pins home. Lol. I'll post pics if I can resize em.

Return to “M16/AR Style”