Albanian SKS Identification

ArkSlim

Albanian SKS Identification

Post by ArkSlim »

Is there an easy, ouick to ident. an albanian sks?

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Albanian SKS Identification

Post by Airforce1 »

Only model with a long full length wood upper handguard.

ammolab

Post by ammolab »

How about “How to ID Albanian SKS” as a thread title

“Identification” is a bit lazy for you and time wasting for those who have no knowledge to help you out

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by RWS »

I changed the topic title. Good call, Ammolab.

-Bob

ArkSlim

Post by ArkSlim »

First to Ammolab please excuse me for the way I posed my question did not intend to be lazy or waist anyone's time. 2nd RWS please advise where you moves my post to? As a novice to your site I am sincerely sorry for not asking my question properly.

ammolab

Post by ammolab »

ArkSlim wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:21 am
First to Ammolab please excuse me for the way I posed my question did not intend to be lazy or waist anyone's time. 2nd RWS please advise where you moves my post to? As a novice to your site I am sincerely sorry for not asking my question properly.
No big deal..it is just easy to list the detail in the title...and it may just attract the one guy who has the knowledge that you seek....otherwise he may just skip over your post.

You should have seen how crabby I got when a guy posted his thread with just this One word.... “Question”

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Military Semi-Automatic Rifles General Topics
please advise where you moves my post to?
Ark slim welcome to the forum, First I am not an SKS guy. I love old bolt actions. But here are some very interesting links you may or may not know about. I found them worth a view. They may be of interest to the other readers:
Forgotten weapons, The Albanian SKS: A Few Different Details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g0YFJ24OTc
The Albanian SKS is the rarest of the major adoptees of the SKS rifle (Russia, China, Romania, Yugoslavia, Albania), and has a handful of interested details that differ from all other examples of the SKS rifle. The gun came about as the result of Albanian dictator Enver Hoxha’s pivot from Soviet to Chinese alliance in the 1960s. Mao granted Albania a license to produce the Type 56 SKS in 1962, and the country would produce between 15,000 and 20,000 or the rifles by 1978.
Mechanically, the Albanian version is identical to the Chinese Type 56. It differs in a few aesthetic details, however:
Longer stock and handguards, completely covering the gas tube
Hook shaped bolt handle
Curved profile to the magazine body
Two trapdoors in the buttstock
Slightly shorter spike bayonet
These may not be hugely important details, but the give the Albanian SKS a different (and I think better) look than the other variations. In addition to the dated examples between 1967 and 1978 (less 1972-75, when no production took place), there are also a batch of undated examples. These may be the early year or years of production, but this is not known for sure.
The Albanian SKS Guide, Contributed by Carl Drumheller
http://albaniansks.weebly.com/history.html

Machodo, Maryland shooters forum: Sino-Soviet-Albanian SKS & History (More Photos Added)
https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=98467

I may be wrong, but I remember right, on the pre-crash forum, Todd sold a few Albanian chrome plated ceremonial SKS's that went for big bucks. Maybe Yugo , he had only like 3-5.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by RWS »

ArkSlim:

I didn't move your post; I just altered the title to be a bit clearer as to what you were asking about. No apologies needed on your part. You'll get the hang of it after you've been here a while.

-Bob

dynachrome

Post by dynachrome »

Thank you, 72 usmc , for the links. Good info.
"When an empire dies, you are left with large monuments in front of which illiterate peasants squat to defecate"

Return to “Military Semi-Automatic Rifles General Topics”