Casting .453” soft lead bullets for cut down, worn vetterli

KneverKnew

Casting .453” soft lead bullets for cut down, worn vetterli

Post by KneverKnew »

So my cut down Swiss vetterli with pitted throat and first 1/3 of bore run slugs .447” groove diameter and .427” at the lands. I used a .453” 45 acp lead Bullet to slug with.
I have a good supply of bought cast alloy 45 acp bullets around 200-240 grains. I also have a 230 grain round nose 45 acp Lee tumble lube Bullet mould I can use to cast up soft lead bullets.

Would it be safe to shoot these .452-.453” (45acp) bullets through my bore?

When shooting my lee430-310’s through it, they spray the target like a water hose even at 30 yards. These bullets give me 2” groups through my untouched M78.

When I slug the cut down barrel with the 430/310 Lee Bullet you can see daylight at the grooves all the way down the bore

KneverKnew

Re: Casting .453” soft lead bullets for cut down, worn vetterli

Post by KneverKnew »

Well...never mind then. I went ahead and loaded some up and shot them. Nice mild load of 8.5grains Unique under a 230 grain truncated comes cast Bullet. Average V of five shots was 1067 FPS. At 40 yards I got a 2” group. And this was just my first try. Going to cast more with softer lead and load different powders.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Casting .453” soft lead bullets for cut down, worn vetterli

Post by Rapidrob »

Most bullet casters drop bullets .002 to .003 larger than the rifles bore. With a cast lead bullet swagging down a little farther will not hurt anything. Leading mat be a problem due to the rough bore throat and lead. If that does become a problem you can always paper-patch or Teflon tape wrap the bullet.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “Bullet Casting”