Dads collection

New Members, introduce yourself and make yourself feel welcome.
ironchef2000

Dads collection

Post by ironchef2000 »

Hello
I have inherited my fathers japanese collection I am in the sf bay area and would like an appraisal 'I am near walnut creek .Mostly rifles 10 or so and some nambu pistols...who do you reccomend

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Re: Dads collection

Post by 72 usmc »

You can get a generalized retail value from this guide, Phillip Petterson's 2020, 9th edition The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms: The collectors price and reference guide. For INSU values someone nearby should be able to offer some advice.
Also you can see retail sales in the last few years in this resource:
https://www.empirearms.com/newstuff.htm

Remember a dealer is only going to offer 50%+-. Auctions vary 40-35 % fee.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Airforce1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Airforce1 »

Posting pictures here will may also help.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic

Post by 72 usmc »

Yes, if you have time post some pictures of the rifles wood and markings.
Place each one individually in the Arasaka section maybe 7-10 photos showing details. see comments below.

I am not sure if you are a firearm person. So here is what a buyer looks for:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2911

Prices for the same rifle vary by regional differences. I am not sure if Calf. is a hot market for Arisakas?????
Check your dads rifles for type and completeness. Are they collectors jewels or common shooters. On Arisakas is the dust cover & bolt matching? Is the mum ground? Are the stocks in original finish or have they been redone. Are they higher quality: wood intact parts match with numbers, original slings,mum intact, cleaning rods present, rifles have the bring back papers? Or are they mismatched common shooters with ground mums lacking cleaning rods, maybe have reproduction slings and parts? Refinished stocks are bad news. So figure out what level of collector he was : high end, complete, perfect rifles or low end common shooters-- there is a huge price difference. Complete high end rare bring backs with papers and ownership historical provenience mean night & day in value. Your dad most likely had a record book of his purchases, from who or where it was obtained, date of purchase, and what he paid, also a short rifle description and if it is rare. Have you found his log book? Most collectors have these as records of ownership details that one forgets over time and for INSU or record of serial numbers in case of theft.
If you post pictures of the rifles most can tell you dogs from jewels.

If you know rifles this Link is unnecessary, but the markings on the receiver are a clue to the types see:
http://www.castle-thunder.com/model.htm

Post the specimen photos in the Arasaka section. Readers will love that. Please provide a close up of the side series number, top of the receiver markings , top of the bolt, and views of the wood as well as an overview of the rifle. The biggest factor in low prices is a refinished stock, missing parts, ground mum, and a sewer pipe bore- rusty condition. Generally, the more original the better, and higher value.

A nice post with photos: https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=42450

What is a perfect dream world specimen to find / have (as found rifle in its original shipping box with papers):
https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums ... h-cavalry/
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Return to “Meet and Greet”