Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Gewehr 1871/84

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Gewehr 1871/84

#1 Post by nrobertb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Here are some shots of my old German Mauser which is lots of fun to shoot:
Attachments
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1060-1.jpg
IMG_1059-1.jpg
IMG_1057-1.jpg
IMG_1056-1.jpg

nmcollektor
United States of America

Re: Gewehr 1871/84

#2 Post by nmcollektor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Very nice. What kind of load are you using??

nrobertb
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#3 Post by nrobertb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I've tried a lot of things but settled on Western Bullet Co.'s .446 340 gr. lead bullet. I've tried 2400 and Trail Boss powders but 3031 produces the best results. I haven't tried black powder yet but plan to.

apachedawg
United States of America

#4 Post by apachedawg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 am

That has beautiful stock. Love that tiger striping.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#5 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:09 am

I recently shot my 1871/84 with 70 grains of Fg and it did well. I read where the military loads was 75 grains. While I was at the range, a competition BP shooter told me the Fg is good powder for long rifles, so I'm sticking with it. I used the Lyman mold for it and forgot how many grains it is, but their is only one Lyman mold for that caliber. Can't say I prefer smokeless over black powder because everything you get to make a smoke cloud with your rifle, you should, especially if there are AR-15's nearby.

Best Regards,

Mark

vandle
Australia

#6 Post by vandle » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:47 am

apachedawg wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:01 am
That has beautiful stock. Love that tiger striping.
x2
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

knucklehead0202
United States of America

#7 Post by knucklehead0202 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:06 am

Just received a 71/84 and got just about everything i need to load for it. Problem for me is that this is my first black powder cartridge, everything i've ever done has been smokeless. Got 370gr .446 bullets, bertram brass, LEE dies, and some FFG. I know FG is recommended but is there any reason i shouldn't use FF? Also, any advice on the simplest black powder measure? Should i just get an adjustable muzzle-loader measure. Black powder confuses the piss out of me, measuring volume rather than weight. Also, is there any good book on black powder cartridge reloading. I've bought a couple but mostly it represents mainstreams stuff and muzzleloaders. I also recently got a dutch beaumont and a .577 snider enfield i'll be loading for soon too and really need to get this black powder thing figured. Thanks fellas.

adam

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#8 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:58 am

I use a brass dispenser and a brass measuring tube for volume. Both were bought commercially. The measuring stick moved a lot so I drilled a few shallow holes so the screw the holds the measuring stick would stay firm. I also made a black powder compressor from a two foot piece of 1/4 or 3/8ths wide copper tube. It helps a bit for reasons that escape me. (Dropping the powder through a sufficiently long tube helps pack the powder in the case far better than pounding it in and much safer.) Use wood and avoid iron based fittings for your compressor for safety's sake. I used aluminum since I work in a tool shop and had access to loads of scrap.

I talked to a black powder match shooter and he liked Fg powder for longer barrels as it had a much more even burn. I now have both FFg and Fg powder to see what difference there is. All my first loads were with FFg powder without many problems.

As for volume verses weight measurements, once you get a tube that measures volume for you, I would believe you will forget all about measuring using weight. Simply put, the tube does it all for you. I simply pour my powder into a big brass dispenser and pour what I need into the measuring tube and then pour that through the compressor and it falls into the case. Not real hard and you will get comfortable with it.

I made Dutch-Beaumont cases from 50-90 Sharps cases. I annealed the open end with Burz-O-Matic blow torch, then ran them through my full length die and trimmed them to length. For trimming I used a drill press and a counter-bore cutter and held the case with some V-blocks held in a grind vise. I hear a pipe cutter also works. I do machining for a living, so I got the tools laying around. For a bullet, I cast up some .459 bullets from a Lee mold designed for the Springfield Trapdoor 45/70 i believe. This is a common bullet you would buy for 45/70 Govt too I think.

I made Snider brass from brass 24GA shotgun hulls. I believe Graf still has some in stock. Use the same process I used for the Dutch-Beaumont to make cases. Do look up how to anneal online. I do all mine in a dark room and quickly throw my brass into a bucket of water as soon as the brass turns a dull red. Bright orange means you have likely gone too far. In a fully lighted room bright orange looks like dull red. You have been warned.....

I have also made Mauser brass. It works, but it needs some more work. I actually made some aluminum shims to correct some flaws in the cartridges I made from 45-90 cases. I've had primers back out to almost the exact distance in the difference between the custom Jamison brass case rim and 45/90 rim. I haven't glued on the shims yet, so I have no idea how it will work. Oh, I had to trim the diameter of the 45-90 rims on a lathe. Not exactly DIY stuff.

I hope all this helps. PM me if you have any questions. Since you are new I see, my email is SWIHARTMARK@AOL.COM if you don't know how to use the PM system on this forum.

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “Antique Cartridge and Black Powder Rifles”